986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What is this sound? Clutch related. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53855-what-sound-clutch-related.html)

Perfectlap 08-28-2014 08:07 AM

What is this sound? Clutch related.

I'm getting this sound coming from the front of the car when I depress the clutch after start up. Sounded like a click but yesterday it was more of a clack. It only seems to happen when the car has been parked for a while and usually I drive up a hill when I leave home.
The clutch was replaced with the IMS about 20K miles ago. Shocks were replaced within the last year and half along with the lower control arms. And in the rear I'm getting that clunking sound again when going over bumps.

nicecar 08-28-2014 08:26 AM

pluss creeeek

I have same issue with clutch when depressed (did search yesterday to no avail) but I have creeking as well in the pedal. P lap does reliable not durable sound familiar? lol

nicecar 08-28-2014 08:28 AM

knocking in rear....trailing arm? This was my problem along with m.m.

epapp 08-28-2014 09:28 AM

Its interesting, my clutch travel will make a light groan sound like a metal rod sliding inside a dry rubber grommet, no abnormal feeling in the pedal when the noise happens, but a boxster I test drove a while back had the clicking, creaking clutch pedal throughout the travel. Almost sounds like metallic/plastic-y creaking at consistent intervals all the way to the floor. My guess way pressure plate getting old.

From the front of the car...I have no idea

steved0x 08-28-2014 12:01 PM

Sometimes the lever that comes out of the slave cylinder and pushes on the clutch fork can creak. In my Tacoma it quacks like a duck when it rains. You can lube it with some white lithium grease and that can quiet it down. although that would be very tough to do if the slave cylinder is installed. We did it on my son's Miata when we replaced the slave cylinder and it stopped a squeak he had been having. But in the boxster it seems like that would be very hard to hear as it is way down in the back.

SeanZ4 08-28-2014 12:40 PM

My clutch has creaked back in the clutch area (as opposed to the pedal) since day one. I got the idea that it might be the slave cylinder from a fellow forum member with the same problem. I took it apart and greased the little plunger-thing. It didn't work. It was an absolute nightmare to get to and then put back together. This was a few years back. I guess I won't know until the day comes I have to replace it.

epapp 08-28-2014 12:47 PM

Hah! The plunger squeak fix on the miata was so easy, I think it took me about 17 seconds. If only the boxster could be that easy..