986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   trunk/frunk light switch hack (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53843-trunk-frunk-light-switch-hack.html)

benstaples 08-27-2014 07:56 AM

trunk/frunk light switch hack

Would like to have a switch in trunks for the light since it comes on when open. I mess around a bit and sometime have trunks open several hours/days. Battery does not like that. Wondering if earlier 911 or 944 dome lights with built in switch would fit in place of existing lights. would be a good hack if they would. Anyone with any information please??

epapp 08-27-2014 08:07 AM

You already have a switch in both trunks, it is just a spring loaded switch that relaxes when the lid is opened, turning the light on. Replace the light switch in each trunk with a flip switch and that should solve your problem

Deserion 08-27-2014 08:21 AM

I just manually close the latch to shut off the light, then reopen before closing it.

benstaples 08-27-2014 10:01 AM

epapp
I cannot find the switches. Seems I read somewhere they were incorporated in the hinge or something like that. Anyone know where they are located??

Burg Boxster 08-27-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benstaples (Post 416235)
epapp
I cannot find the switches. Seems I read somewhere they were incorporated in the hinge or something like that. Anyone know where they are located??

part of latch mechanism...

My frunk light shuts off after a period of inactivity (maybe 30 min or 1hr? possibly 2).

One could also simply pry out the lens/light and either unplug connector or remove bulb to achieve same.

Good luck :)

benstaples 08-27-2014 10:22 AM

Burg Boxster thanks. Good info.
Was looking for an excuse to do something on "Dazel" the Boxster.
Was going to install a switch but the dome light with switch included seemed a simple cool solution.

pjv 08-28-2014 03:48 PM

I have the same 'problem' since I have to leave the frunk lid open because I can't charge the battery through the cigarette lighter socket. So I just leave the frunk light disconnected, it is not of much use to me. The light assembly simply unplugs from the wiring, very easy to do and also to reconnect if needed.

flaps10 08-28-2014 07:45 PM

Unrelated to the main topic but wanted to share a story from yesterday.

I met my oldest son at a motorcycle shop with a new tire he needed badly.

I had just pulled the tire out of the frunk and given it to the mechanic, and we were going to burn an hour while the tire was installed. My son had all his gear to stow and I headed to the back of the car while he headed to the front.

The look on his face was priceless. He said "does this car not have an engine?"

ammonman 08-29-2014 03:48 AM

Replace the standard bulbs with LED's.. They draw minuscule amounts of power and as a side benefit don't generate any heat to speak of. This will help prevent the plastic lenses for the trunk/frunk lights turning brown and brittle.

Mike