Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
More importantly, what WHEELS are those? They look nice, esp with the caps
The are 20" Victor Innsbrooks. Many thanks for the compliment. They are *stunning* on the Cayman. Highly recommended.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Tucker. Do you remember the name of the site. Jinx:dance:
Ebay. Just look for that seller on Ebay. I have no idea if they have their own personal business site.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
^ You do realize that your Kia is worth more than your Porsche, right?
Would you pay $200+ for some bits of plastic for the Kia?

Are you pissed because you overpaid? Makes sense now
It's a WHEEL CAP, not some vital part. Do you work on your own car? Are you a Porsche certified mechanic? No?
You do realize that you drive a 986, right?
Oh wow.... Yes, in fact I joke that my Soul cost more than my Porsche all the time...Am I pissed I overpaid for what? No, I am just not a cheap son of a biyatch. I respect my Porsche...and the six I owned before it....And yes, I buy nothing but factory parts for my Kia...I do not get parts from Autozone for either car. And by the way, I have rebuilt several Porsche engines....I may not be certified, but I know what I am doing.

I guess that is the difference between you and me...I bought a 2000 986 because it is the exact car I wanted....you bought one because it was all you could afford. :dance:
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
^ You do realize that your Kia is worth more than your Porsche, right?
Would you pay $200+ for some bits of plastic for the Kia?

Are you pissed because you overpaid? Makes sense now
It's a WHEEL CAP, not some vital part. Do you work on your own car? Are you a Porsche certified mechanic? No?
You do realize that you drive a 986, right?
Go easy on him. Really to each his own. I just changed the oil on both my Cayman and Boxster and I went fully OEM + the Mobil 1 Synthetic I-Am-Super-Expensive-Oil because I think that's the right thing to do. $200+ dollars for 4 small pieces of painted plastic that *literally* probably cost under $1.00 to manufacture is to much for me. I will say that if Porsche's OEM caps were in the $40-$50 (still insane) I would purchase the OEM version. But the current price point is complete madness.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #25

My wife bought me a set as a Christmas gift a long time ago for my boxster. The crests came off after 10 years and needed to be glued back. My take is if the eBay ones appear ok what's the big deal. I need some plain gold ones for my996tt as they are a bit faded and worn. let me know who sells decent ones. I hear some don't fit well.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #26

Porsche OEM Set of Silver Wheel Caps NEW

I have a set of four caps in silver, new and perfect from Porsche. The first decent offer can have them......shipped. Lee NY
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #27

I'm still not sure how spending $200+ on 4 caps makes the Porsche more of a Porsche? Centre caps are not vital pieces. Hey - where's your TV from? What about your computer? Probably all Chinese. Why? Cause they actually do make some good stuff....they just know how to make them cost effective. It's because I'm smart with my money I can afford a few nice cars....I spend my money on the important things.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
I guess it is just me. I buy quality Gold Toe socks because they last...

To me, the key to long lasting love is attention to the little things as the affair goes on....I don't want my Porsche becoming more and more Chinese as the years go by. A piece here, a piece there. My car is bone stock and 100% original, with the only exception being the LN Engineering IMS bearing I am very proud of this fact and plan to keep it that way. When something is worn or breaks, I fix it immediately with a factory original part - no Chinese crap going here. But again, this is just me - to each his own.

$200 is too much? You do realize you guys bought a Porsche, right?
do you actually think that there are no parts in a Porsche that come from China?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
I guess that is the difference between you and me...I bought a 2000 986 because it is the exact car I wanted....you bought one because it was all you could afford. :dance:
The smiley face doesn't make up for you coming across as an arrogant, factory certified A_hole.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
The smiley face doesn't make up for you coming across as an arrogant, factory certified A_hole.
In his defense, tonicristi started the nonsense.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #31

I have them as well. I chose to spend my money my way and save for larger, more important items in my life, not wheel center caps.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #32

I think I read somewhere the OEM`s gave at least 2 more HP than the knock-offs.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
I think I read somewhere the OEM`s gave at least 2 more HP than the knock-offs.
D'oh! Totally forgot about the performance upgrade OEM parts give. I'm sold - get me some $200+ caps!

+1 Xpit77
Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #34

Garage
The Porsche wheel cap factory in China is probably the same factory as the ebay knockoffs...the ebay sellers just take their molded plastic and paint it in a separate, cheaper paint booth with 'china' paints

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
do you actually think that there are no parts in a Porsche that come from China?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #35
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Not that a Chinese-made part is necessarily bad, depends on who made it and who it was made for. New Corollas come with Chinese-made alloys, for example. If there is proper QC in the build process, consistently, then there shouldn't be any issues with the overall quality of the part.

However, it's not exactly a surprise that there is a massive number of counterfeit parts made in China. That could potentially explain the center caps being low in cost, as genuine parts shouldn't fade within a year.

Personally I won't put knockoff parts on either of my cars. Will I use parts made by an OE supplier? Sure. In many cases, the OEM parts for my Mercedes come with the MB star and part number on them, since it's made by the same manufacturer. If I can't get an OEM part (Hella, Behr, Bosch, Reutter, Lemfoerder, etc.), then I'll go OE. Used when available if not a wear item.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #36

Since we are talking a bit about quality - it is good to note that although the lower cost caps do fade (hitting them with some clearcoat does slow the fading) the OEM parts are not perfect. Two years ago rims were replaced and new OEM centre caps were installed (by previous owner). In those two years, two of the centre caps lost their logo. If you search on this forum, you will find this is not uncommon. Therefore, not sure how much higher quality the OEM caps are?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #37
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Since we are talking a bit about quality - it is good to note that although the lower cost caps do fade (hitting them with some clearcoat does slow the fading) the OEM parts are not perfect. Two years ago rims were replaced and new OEM centre caps were installed (by previous owner). In those two years, two of the centre caps lost their logo. If you search on this forum, you will find this is not uncommon. Therefore, not sure how much higher quality the OEM caps are?
A very valid point. One of my caps has lost the crest due to the adhesive letting go. I used to see this frequently with VW center caps in the late 1990s/early 2000s. My mom's 987 has center caps like the ones in the OP (except OE in silver), and are still looking quite minty. The caps on my dad's 964 are the all-silver debossed variety.

When I replace mine they'll be the newer style without the crest glued on.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #38

wow, emotions are running high in the wheel cap thread!

mine were faded, and it looked like some punks had removed the crest from two of the caps with a screw driver or knife when a previous owner had the car. My turbo twists didn't look all that hot, so I got a new cheap pair on ebay and then plastidipped the wheels.

They look good. They cost $15. Replacing them every now and then if they fade or chip won't be a big deal.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #39

My issue with the fakes are some sellers representing them as OEM at a price slightly lower than OEM, with some people getting ripped off thinking that they bought OEM.

If the selling price is $16 for 4, I'm pretty aware that they are fake and I'm okay with that. If a seller represents that they are OEM, cost $100+ or so, and are counterfeit, that's just wrong.
b55er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #40

I saw some gold/black/red shields on Ebay the adhere over the existing B&W shields. Has anyone purchased them?

Also, I see some full replacement caps are listed as 75mm while others are listed to be 76mm...... anyone know which my 89' Boxster (non S) with stock wheels uses?

Thanks

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote