986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The new Audi commercial....accurate? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53775-new-audi-commercial-accurate.html)

Timco 08-21-2014 07:07 PM

The new Audi commercial....accurate?

Audi guy sees kids on a bench, giant puddle of water, slows and takes pride in taking the high road and being a nice guy.

Obvious grill shot of BMW in his rear view mirror, soaks the kids with the puddle.

Seem about right?

JayG 08-21-2014 07:14 PM

Sad but true

Fintro11 08-21-2014 07:20 PM

link to the video?

lkchris 08-21-2014 07:31 PM

The Audi behavior may be unrealistic.

Timco 08-21-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 415494)
link to the video?

Just checked YouTube. Don't know what it's called.

thstone 08-21-2014 07:40 PM

Here you go:

"Audi Nice Performance"

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HYQK0jV8bsY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYQK0jV8bsY

thstone 08-21-2014 07:50 PM

To me, this is marketing at its worst. What I mean is that they don't say anything about the cars - its all about how you will be perceived, i.e., BMW drivers are jerks and Audi owners are the nice, caring types.

The car doesn't make the person. Jerks are generally jerks no matter what car they drive and nice people are generally nice no matter what car they drive.

Timco 08-21-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 415498)
To me, this is marketing at its worst. What I mean is that they don't say anything about the cars - its all about how you will be perceived, i.e., BMW drivers are jerks and Audi owners are the nice, caring types.

The car doesn't make the person. Jerks are generally jerks no matter what car they drive and nice people are generally nice no matter what car they drive.

While I did take comfort in those bratty kids getting what they likely deserved, I would never drive my Porsche through that puddle.

Dlirium 08-21-2014 08:32 PM

I think they got the BMW part right. I don't, however, believe Audi drivers can claim a higher moral ground.

Tucker2 08-21-2014 09:32 PM

Dumb. Not well done.

I very nearly was in a head-on collision today with a 911 in a PARKING LOT. Me going about 3 MPH heading towards the street when 911 comes into the lot at 40+ MPH expecting me not to be there and use my space as his lane. Thank God for Porsche brakes. I can only imagine the stories the cops would have told had we wrecked.

Icing is 911 guy gives me the stink eye like it's all my fault.

Porsche...errrr....911...drivers are all dicks. ;)

Pdwight 08-21-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 415500)
I think they got the BMW part right. I don't, however, believe Audi drivers can claim a higher moral ground.

I am a BMW Driver and I would never do that...in fact I have stopped and helped two ladies who were struggling with a flat on the highway in the past two years...not all BMW Drivers are D-Bags

2003S 08-22-2014 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 415504)
I am a BMW Driver and I would never do that...in fact I have stopped and helped two ladies who were struggling with a flat on the highway in the past two years...not all BMW Drivers are D-Bags

Our Family Truckster is a BMW -- I always tell the wife that we're trying to change the reputation of BMW drivers. Slowly. Sadly here in Chicago, there's more than a grain of truth in the BMW stereotype.

Giller 08-22-2014 03:42 AM

What do companies want from their ads? People to talk about it and generate 'buzz'. Well - us talking about it goes to show it was a good ad!

Besides - they aren't just selling a car. They are selling a lifestyle. Great ad.

Joe B 08-22-2014 04:47 AM

Oh sure, it's accurate. When we owned our A4 (ours was a piece of s**t; nothing but problems), we were little angels, and when we traded it for the 325xi (great car), we started trying to hit dogs and splash kids :rolleyes:.

Actually, I watched that video 4 times, and I have no idea how anyone could tell that was a BMW, and as I said, we own one :confused:. Really lame commercial! Doesn't make me want to buy an Audi at all...

Timco 08-22-2014 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 415522)
Oh sure, it's accurate. When we owned our A4 (ours was a piece of s**t; nothing but problems), we were little angels, and when we traded it for the 325xi (great car), we started trying to hit dogs and splash kids :rolleyes:.

Actually, I watched that video 4 times, and I have no idea how anyone could tell that was a BMW, and as I said, we own one :confused:. Really lame commercial! Doesn't make me want to buy an Audi at all...

That, my friend, has been edited. In the original commercial I saw it was clearly a BMW recessed grill. I even thought to myself they used an older model to not compare the newer BMWs to their car's looks.

Joe B 08-22-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 415524)
That, my friend, has been edited. In the original commercial I saw it was clearly a BMW recessed grill. I even thought to myself they used an older model to not compare the newer BMWs to their car's looks.

Yeah, I Googled it and saw the original. Makes Audi seem like the a** holes for stereotyping BMW owners in such a negative way, instead of giving any actual reasons for buying an Audi :rolleyes:. Audis will automatically make you a better person? Mine didn't :p!

Burg Boxster 08-22-2014 06:50 AM

Guess w/ a BMW and 911 in the garage, one wouldn't stand a chance not living the stereotype...

:eek:

JayG 08-22-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 415536)
Yeah, I Googled it and saw the original. Makes Audi seem like the a** holes for stereotyping BMW owners in such a negative way, instead of giving any actual reasons for buying an Audi :rolleyes:. Audis will automatically make you a better person? Mine didn't :p!

whats the link for that version?

Pdwight 08-22-2014 07:46 AM

Timco is right

That was clearly a E36 in the original ad. I also had a Audi at one time...great car until it started to go downhill....when it did I got rid of it in less than 3 months

Joe B 08-22-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 415543)
whats the link for that version?

I think I Googled "Audi A4 puddle splash ad" or something like that. I forget.