986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Routine Preventative Maintenance (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53744-routine-preventative-maintenance.html)

jdvl2010 08-19-2014 11:23 AM

Routine Preventative Maintenance

I just recently purchased a 02 Boxster with 27k miles in excellent condition. I am hoping to keep it in good condition for a long life. I am curious what kind of preventative maintenance I should watch out for and any known issues with the car. I am aware of the IMS issue and do watch that when I change my oil. Also what are standard times to bring the car in for checks with the dealer.

Any information would be great! I've already very much enjoyed reading through post on here for numerous amounts of information regarding my car.

kjc2050 08-19-2014 11:52 AM

It's really up to you, but on my short list would be the serpentine belt and all filters including an oil change. If you want to keep going, replace the gas and coolant expansion tank caps. Not satisfied? Flush the brake fluid. Still game? Replace the water pump, thermostat and coolant. Oh yeah - relocate the trunk emergency cable. Like I said, it's really up to your appetite and wallet.

JayG 08-19-2014 11:55 AM

Might be a good idea to do some searches on the forum for your questions before asking them
They have all probably been answered many times.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but you really need to do a little searching first. You will learn much more that way, than just asking without a search.
You will find most here are more than happy to help on just about anything. just do a little work first

As far as dealer service, you might be better off finding a good independent shop. it will save you a bunch of $$

Do a google search for maintenance schedule, you should be able to download it from several places.

A good question to post might be who is a good indy shop in your area. Texas is a fairly large area, so you need to at least mention the city

rp17 08-19-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdvl2010 (Post 415206)
I just recently purchased a 02 Boxster with 27k miles in excellent condition. I am hoping to keep it in good condition for a long life. I am curious what kind of preventative maintenance I should watch out for and any known issues with the car. I am aware of the IMS issue and do watch that when I change my oil. Also what are standard times to bring the car in for checks with the dealer.

Any information would be great! I've already very much enjoyed reading through post on here for numerous amounts of information regarding my car.

Welcome to the forum. Love to see some pics of the car. 30k coming up is minor service with filter changes and 40k is spark plugs etc etc... Change the oil every 5k miles is what the pros say around here. Now post some pics. :D

thstone 08-19-2014 08:20 PM

Drive it really, really fast. Every day.

As for maintenance, just follow the recommended schedule but change oil very 5K miles.

And then drive really, really fast again.

RickG 08-19-2014 11:05 PM

Drive it. Its built to be driven.

flaps10 08-20-2014 09:18 AM

27k. I wish.

Welcome aboard.

Giller 08-20-2014 09:43 AM

At 27k your car is hardly broken in! Drive it and drive it some more. There isn't much else out there that is near as fun to drive, especially with the top down.

JayG 08-20-2014 10:02 AM

DRIVE IT!

keep it under 3-4k until the oil is warmed up, about 10 min of driving, don't just let it idle
Then make sure it gets some 5-7k revs at least a little
find yourself a nice back road with some twisties and have fun

Join PCA and hopefully your local chapter will have a Performance Driving School. They are well worth the time and the few $$ they cost. You will be amazed at the performance and capabilities of the car

Jinx 08-20-2014 01:35 PM

Drive it

The Porsche club DE. Driver Education and CCC
Car Control Clinic. Is well worth the price of membership.

The cost of the classes with the Porsche Club
Is the cheapest vs the local track in the Pittsburgh
Area. Is also cheaper than the SCCA

The car will amaze you. You will learn so
Much you will not believe it. On top of it
You will be having a ball.

Good Luck,

Jinx:dance:

JayG 08-20-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 415334)
The Porsche club DE. Driver Education and CCC
Car Control Clinic. Is well worth the price of membership.

The cost of the classes with the Porsche Club
Is the cheapest vs the local track in the Pittsburgh
Area. Is also cheaper than the SCCA

The car will amaze you. You will learn so
Much you will not believe it. On top of it
You will be having a ball.

Good Luck,

Jinx:dance:

+1 What Jinx said!!!

DrCactus 08-21-2014 02:37 AM

27K ? Sounds like someone rolled it back on you - I hope you did your research on the car before buying it.

trimer 08-21-2014 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 415391)
27K ? Sounds like someone rolled it back on you - I hope you did your research on the car before buying it.

I just sold an 03 with 19,000 miles. The car was in new shape. They do exist. I also sold my 02 with 37,000 miles.

Giller 08-21-2014 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 415392)
I just sold an 03 with 19,000 miles. The car was in new shape. They do exist. I also sold my 02 with 37,000 miles.

I don't get why so many people buy these cars and then don't drive them? They aren't an investment! Have some fun, drive them.

DrCactus 08-21-2014 04:49 AM

Good point Giller - I have a 2001 and I have over 80,000. Being in Canada I can only drive it during the summer months on top of that....

Giller 08-21-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 415400)
Good point Giller - I have a 2001 and I have over 80,000. Being in Canada I can only drive it during the summer months on top of that....

I was in Ottawa a few weeks back (without my Porsche, sadly, not enough seats) and my wife and I saw quite a few Porsche's out and about. Great city to cruise around in. Was funny - I kept running into the same Porsche! On the Parkway, downtown Ottawa and then when having dinner in Kanata!

DrCactus 08-21-2014 08:36 AM

Giller - nice! Glad you had a good time here, the Boxster members here are small so most of us know each other or at least see one another over and over again. I'm happy I bought the car with the Orient Red for that 2001 year as I have not seen another one in this city the same which i like. I'm looking to upgrade the sterio systeam, any suggestions?

Giller 08-21-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCactus (Post 415426)
Giller - nice! Glad you had a good time here, the Boxster members here are small so most of us know each other or at least see one another over and over again. I'm happy I bought the car with the Orient Red for that 2001 year as I have not seen another one in this city the same which i like. I'm looking to upgrade the sterio systeam, any suggestions?

I've only had mine for a month now and priorities were getting it 100% mechanically sound. I've got the upgraded Bose system with sub and speakers all around, so it's not bad except I'm back to using CDs! Want to get a nice simple deck with USB. Take a look at crutchfield.ca I've been talking to them and they are very well versed in what we need to do. Lots of members recommended them to me.

DrCactus 08-21-2014 10:00 AM

Ok cool. I too have that same upgraded system but been using CDs - I'd like to have usb or bluetooth or a harddrive etc,. I'll take a look...

jdvl2010 08-21-2014 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the input!

For the 3 months Ive had the car it has been amazing and I look forward to a long time with it. The car is my daily driver which puts the miles on it but there's no substitute for driving top down on daily commutes and hearing that beautiful flat six behind your head. :)
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1408644435.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1408644483.jpg