Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Did you check the engine compartment temp sensor for proper functionality?
Nope. It has to be related to the coolant level sensor since disconnecting it causes the light to stop flashing. Otherwise implies that they are wired in series, which doesn't make sense - even for Porsche hahah.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #22

Garage
Oh, I missed the part where disconnecting it made a difference in the light, my bad.

Yeah, probably something in the tank then, since you replaced the complete switch. Maybe replace the tank if it is yellowed and old anyways? Or just leave the sensor unplugged and YOLO a little bit...
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #23

I installed a new tank in May when I did the IMS..... no way I'm taking that thing out again!!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #24

Garage
Any luck with the light

were you ever able to figure out what was wrong. I have 1999 doing the same thing now

John
jvmbc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #25
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
FYI, this thread is over 3 years old. You may not get a response from the OP.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #26

I didn't... as a matter of fact, I had the carpet out this spring and connected the sensor again and it started flashing so it's disconnected again.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #27

Thanks for the insight

I know this is an old thread, but it was really helpful. I have a similar problem that I have been trying to diagnose. I replaced the coolant cap, engine compartment temperature sensor and coolant level sensor, but still the light keeps blinking. I have tried to check the wiring with the assumption that the circuit is normally closed when the coolant is topped off. This thread gave me the tip that full = normally open. I disconnected the connector to the coolant sensor and the light went off. Real progress! Thanks

Now I need to figure out why the circuit is closed with the connector attached and full on coolant, but that should easy now that I understand the system logic.
rhaehnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaehnel View Post
I know this is an old thread, but it was really helpful. I have a similar problem that I have been trying to diagnose. I replaced the coolant cap, engine compartment temperature sensor and coolant level sensor, but still the light keeps blinking. I have tried to check the wiring with the assumption that the circuit is normally closed when the coolant is topped off. This thread gave me the tip that full = normally open. I disconnected the connector to the coolant sensor and the light went off. Real progress! Thanks

Now I need to figure out why the circuit is closed with the connector attached and full on coolant, but that should easy now that I understand the system logic.
Yeah, this is old! Sold the car years ago, never did figure it out. Just left it disconnected. Still see that car driving around tho! New owner is definitely in over his head.... Explained oil changes to him and he said he would just let the dealer do it. This from a guy with 3 teens/tweens, a tiny house and college on the way.
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaehnel View Post

Yeah, this is old! Sold the car years ago, never did figure it out. Just left it disconnected. Still see that car driving around tho! New owner is definitely in over his head.... Explained oil changes to him and he said he would just let the dealer do it. This from a guy with 3 teens/tweens, a tiny house and college on the way.,and couldn't drive a stick
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #30

Just a follow up. My problem is solved. It was a stuck float. The float was stuck at a low fluid level even though the coolant was topped off. I figured it out by pushing down on the float with a screw driver to check the function of the switch while a VOM was attached to it. It was then I discovered the switch worked right when pushed on the float a couple of times.

The crazy thing is I have driven it over 2000 miles with that light blinking! So it was stuck all that time.

The simplest things sometimes.

rhaehnel is offline   Reply With Quote