Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #1

Garage
HVAC Control Relocation for Double Din install?

I have a 99 Boxster base. I am trying to re-locate my hvac controls to allow for a double din install. I am trying to locate to the bottom of the console as many others have done and I have the dash trim piece. Problem is getting the wires to reach. I have snaked them down and run them through the oval opening in the steel bracket behind where the cubbies go but they are just a little to short for me to plug them into the hvac controls. can anyone give me instruction on how the were able to do this? I have removed the side panels and cubbies from the lower center dash. Do I need to remove the plastic frame that the cubbies go into? I have looked at threads for the double din installs and cant seem to find info on this other than relocating the controls.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

Garage
I snaked them around for 15 mins or so before squeezing enough slack to get them to plug in without really stretching the wires at all.

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

epap

I noticed in your pic there something, is that the AC flap diverter that the foam goes bad on ?

Mine seems to blow through all the vents no matter which level I pic, if that is it it would be a good time to re-foam it.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

You can read about my technique in post 13 of this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

I routed them on the passenger (right) side of the dash. I'm not sure which side you are attempting, but I think it is a shorter route on the right.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Garage
The center vent you see doesn't have any flaps in it, that is just a tube for routing the air to the center. I believe the foam and flap are further down/within the HVAC system
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Garage
ok I was able to get the slack I needed in the wiring but now the hvac controls wont go all the way in they are about 1/2 inch out of the dash. anyone have this same problem?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

Check the back

Make sure the cables are not bundling up, they should be smooth and no bunch up behind the unit/
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

Garage
I figured it out. there are small steel clips one on each side that needed to be pushed out so the HVAC controls could slide all the way in. The clips must be necessary to hold the storage bin that was originally in that spot in the console.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #9

I think these clips are for the centre console carpet trim. Did you end up being able to attach these pieces to the console after the installation?

The HVAC controls don't fit too well in the lower position. It will go in but can anyone weigh in on their experience, method or hardware?

Last edited by jaykay; 03-22-2020 at 09:19 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #10

There is a bracket you need that sits within the red plastic pieces. I tried to find a pic. Mine is mounted below. Pretty sure it’s a Porsche part, mine doesn’t seem to be aftermarket. It has two din slots in it.

I think this is it right here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2004-2005-Porsche-911-Boxster-Stereo-Bracket-Support-Mount-99655211502-/182296145521

Last edited by Geof3; 03-21-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #11

Thanks man. I dont see any red plastic pieces that are associated with the lowest din slot. Any further detail that you can remember?

Yes, i am working the lower console piece you linked
Old 03-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Thanks man. I dont see any red plastic pieces that are associated with the lowest din slot. Any further detail that you can remember?

Yes, i am working the lower console piece you linked
I’ll be getting into mine tomorrow or Tuesday and take some pics. Installing an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter. My controller is in the bottom slot. Been awhile since I’ve been in there, but I’m pretty sure it just clips into the receptacle. I was referring to the red pieces in the picture above, thought it was your pic.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #13

Okay, Geof thanks very much.

I would be interested in your gauge set up

I will post the interferences I am encountering. They may be hard to photograph but I will give it a go.

Different approaches can be taken; I think I am going to Dremel relieve the console in certain places.

For the radio to go in the top slot, two corner sections have to be whittled away a bit so that the metal frame does not catch.

For the Hvac controller, the top bearing pads interfere with a lip inside the lower slot; planning to channel that out enough to allow full insertion