Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Garage
Slight Oil Overfill...really a problem?

So my oil was a tad low... I put in half a quart... Now it reads all bars in the dash, have not checked the dipstick yet. My question is... If I put half a pint too much, is it really going to cause issues? Foaming, premature AOS failure?

It just seems that a car that holds nearly 10 quarts should be able to tolerate .25 quarts too much (2.5% deviation)...but I don't want to assume- I know how these Germans are ). My real concern is I am about to go on a 400 mile trip and don't need to create a bad situation.

Thanks for any input!

Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #2

Excess oil will lead to premature AOS failure but I wouldn't rely on the digital oil reader. Check te dipstick. Half a quart is not enough to go from low to overfilled.
818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Garage
Others will comment, but personally I wouldn't leave it as is. Pull the oil filter and dump the oil in the housing; you may need to do it twice.

After I change my oil, the dash display shows it several bars low when I check it immediately after the engine has been run; the next morning, it may be one bar low. I think it's easy to overfill these engines. Double check with the dipstick. I usually aim to have the dipstick read in the middle when I check it cold.

A few ounces below full is fine. Overfilled is a very bad idea.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

No. Unless you overfill by two or three quarts, nothing will happen. Start your motor, check the oil with the dipstick and I guarantee you it will not even show on the stick. If you believe that your motor will detonate when the oil doesn't even show on the dipstick, have at it.

Theres this paranoia on the webs that if you overfill the oil by an ounce, the AOS will immediately detonate and you will destroy your motor by hydro lock. No. The problem with these motors is oil starvation. When you get on it, rev it to the redline, and go around a Sharp corner, the g forces force the oil aginst the sides of the heads and the scavenge pumps can't get the oil in the heads back to the sump, andin, addition, the oil in the sump goes away from the pickup because of the centrifugal force causing oil starvation which will kill the motor.

Don't worry about it. Overfill is much better for our motors than under fill.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Every time I check mine with the dash when it's cold it shows all bars. When I check it with the dipstick it is right at the top. It's been that way for the past 2k miles since I bought the car. Good news for me is it doesn't burn oil and it won't blow up if it's filled all the way up. Of course YMMV.

Rick

SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote