Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Garage
Smile A women question

Jinx here. A question.
A one point I owned a 89 jaguar xj-6.
I did some simple repairs on it myself.

My question is bill's 03 Boxster needs to have a
Rear cv joint boot replaced. Planning on
Changing the trip's fluid at the same time
Also may do a repair on the left rear
Control arm. To try and get rid of the "clunk"

I have the cv boot, trans fluid. And use
Of a shop and tools on a Sunday.

My question is can I try and go the repairs
Myself? I would like to try but just not sure.
There would be no men around to help me if
I run into problems.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
Male / Female isn't the issue - someone that has done it (either gender) is what you need. I saw a post that it is a 3 hr job. reading the DIY info on Pelican, it does seem daunting...even to a man :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Hi,

i did replace the rear cv joint boots. Took me about 3.5 - 4 hours on one side.

Minimum special tools is a torque wrench and you defnitely need a joint head remover.

Also you need somebody to help you when it come to pull in and out the rear axel. Don't do this alone. Needed 3 men. One was pulling the a-arm down (don't know if that is the right technical term), one was pulling the brakes sidewise and one was carefully putting the complete axle in and out.

The aluminum delta plate can also be a little bit frustrating while putting it in. Don't forget to twist the rear sway bar by unmountig the screws at the ends. This definetely helps a lot.

ATF fluid change is no problem. Don't forget to change the ATF filter. And it's very important to have a tool for measuring the ATF level correctly.

I would definetely reccomend to take a look into the Porsche workshop manual before you start and also note all torque values.

Regards

Last edited by Smallblock454; 07-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

When I did my CV boots, I didn't have to remove the whole CV axles. I think the Pelican article also describes how you can do that. Because I only needed to replace only the boots, not the CV joints, I dropped the exhaust to gain access to the inner side of the axle and replace both the inner and outer boots from there.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

You're the ma'am, Jinx! :dance:
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
When I did my CV boots, I didn't have to remove the whole CV axles. I think the Pelican article also describes how you can do that. Because I only needed to replace only the boots, not the CV joints, I dropped the exhaust to gain access to the inner side of the axle and replace both the inner and outer boots from there.
Tell us more - I need to do the same thing! if you just disconnect the CV at the transaxle, can you wiggle the old boot off and the new one on? or is there more to it?
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Tell us more - I need to do the same thing! if you just disconnect the CV at the transaxle, can you wiggle the old boot off and the new one on? or is there more to it?
No, you definetly have to remove the complete driveshaft, because you need to open the CV to change the boot. Take a look in the workshop manual.

To remove the catalytic converter is an alternative. But - never touch a running system.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 07-25-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Garage
Thumbs up Avatar updated

Thanks Porsche Chick. Jinx

Last edited by Jinx; 07-25-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #9

Garage
Smile

I just wanted to follow up. After reading all the responses here. I have decided to leave the repairs to the pro's. Thanks to everyone for you time and responses.

Love ya,

Jinx