986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Unwritten rules (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53357-unwritten-rules.html)

CoBeerToad 07-24-2014 07:30 AM

Unwritten rules

Or maybe they are written somewhere. I still consider myself a newbie to the P-cars.

I know we have to wave to all Boxsters when we see them on the road, but do we have to wave to all Porsches? Even SUVs?

Giller 07-24-2014 07:38 AM

Being new to the Porsche world I too have wondered about this. My initial thought would be yes - we are all apart of the Porsche community and it's only polite and friendly to say hi. Makes me feel good anyways.

Muzzle of Bees 07-24-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoBeerToad (Post 411325)
Or maybe they are written somewhere. I still consider myself a newbie to the P-cars.

I know we have to wave to all Boxsters when we see them on the road, but do we have to wave to all Porsches? Even SUVs?

Strangely enough here in Austin most Porsche owners don’t wave or acknowledge me when I am driving the Boxster. I wave though.
I did have one guy recently driving a Boxster let me know I had light out.

RedTele58 07-24-2014 08:06 AM

I give a little wave (or flash my lights) at every Porsche I see when I'm in my Boxster, my 996 or my 944.

The little community of Porsche drivers in my part of the world all recognize each others cars and are a pretty good bunch of folks.

I came out of the local steakhouse a few months ago and even had a Panamera parked next to my 996. He knew a good ride when he saw one. :D

Rick

Nine8Six 07-24-2014 08:19 AM

Yes, we blink here as well or at least a quick meep-meep is the norm! Whatever car/value ;)

Long life to Porsche xxx!

epapp 07-24-2014 08:28 AM

Some things I've noticed in norcal:

1) 986ers always wave, as do I

2) 987ers sometimes wave, mostly just a stare.

3) 996,997 never wave, or look :(.

I feel like this is because MOST 986 owners know the life of owning one, so they are truly interested in what another is doing/has done to their 986. As you move to newer and newer models, around here at least, the enthusiasts are less and less.

Then again, I'm commuting everyday. Maybe the smart enthusiasts don't commute in their porsche :).

kk2002s 07-24-2014 08:48 AM

Try to flash (Head Lights) or wave to all sports car versions of P-cars
I get the impression the SUV crowd isn't really paying much attentions so I save my bulb life

I don't seem to get much acknowledgment back from many. Makes me think my flash system doesn't work. This especially from the higher end 911's

A few weeks back, I was driving back from a car show with my son when I see a high end 911 coming at me, he flashed his light to me.
I was so taken back and flustered that a high end 911 acknowledged a Boxster.
So I immediately acknowledging him back with a Flash of my Cruise Control

I don't know what the hell I was thinking or doing but I went for the cruise control stalk instead and flashed it.
I felt like I had completely broken the code of conduct
That 911 guy probably will never acknowledge a Boxster again thanks to me

Nine8Six 07-24-2014 09:08 AM

^lolllllllll

Deserion 07-24-2014 09:14 AM

I generally try to acknowledge all Porsche sportscars/GTs/etc. Cayenne/Macan/Panamera is most likely to get a :confused: response, if at all.

BIGJake111 07-24-2014 09:15 AM

I have actually had a few turbos flash me down and such, they are usually in oncoming though and likely can't tell it is a 986 and not a 996 lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

particlewave 07-24-2014 09:23 AM

There's a guy in town that drives a 996tt. He won't ever look my way. He probably doesn't like the look of my car or that it is a 986.
That's cool, buddy. I think that gigantic wing on the back of your 996 looks pretty stupid, too. :p

Gets lots of love from Cayman and 996 drivers in the KC area, though. Usually a thumbs-up, nod, wave, etc...

Davev 07-24-2014 10:31 AM

Owning a boxster means I am ignorant to rules and protocol - so I don't wave at anyone, plus I am over 60 and get a pass now.

thstone 07-24-2014 11:46 AM

Everyone, and I mean everyone, waves to me in the Spec Boxster - who doesn't appreciate a street legal race car!

Only 986's wave to me in my 996 (and yes, I wave back). 987, 996, 997, etc owners never wave.

I ignore the Porsche sedans and SUV's; First, they are lost in a sea of other sedans and SUV's. Second, not much in common with a mom with 3 screaming kids in the back or an Arab prince. Generally I feel that they bought the badge, not the car. I know that's not always true but I don't see a lot of Cayenne's or Panamera's in the canyon's, AX, or track.

cardiffgiant 07-24-2014 12:50 PM

I see more 986's around here than I expected. There is always a head nod or a wave. I've also exchanged greetings with Caymans and old 944's. I've even exchanged a lot of greetings with people in other brands of convertible (we got a buttload of snow this past winter, so we're probably all just excited to be driving around with the top down).

As others have experienced, absolutely no love from the 911 crowd :( Whatevs.

BIGJake111 07-24-2014 12:58 PM

So just curious what experience you guys get with mx5 owners as they are much more common, I usually get hard cold stares, if I break the ice and compliment their car they usually get much more happy and all haha.

Porsche Chick 07-24-2014 01:10 PM

What am I doing wrong?

Nobody ever waves at me . . . :(

BIGJake111 07-24-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche Chick (Post 411390)
What am I doing wrong?

Nobody ever waves at me . . . :(

Female, in sports car, gets no attention? I am puzzled, whenever my sister talks me into letting her drive my car, she gets many many looks haha.

TeamOxford 07-24-2014 01:27 PM

There's lots of Porsches in the Dallas Metroplex; I haven't seen any of them flash.

I wouldn't expect the SUV crowd to do so, or even the 911 guys, but even the Boxsters don't flash.

Maybe my mouthwash just ain't cuttin' it anymore. :o

TO

herve_g 07-24-2014 02:09 PM

I wave to every P-car I see. Most Boxsters wave back, some 911s do, no Cayenne ever waved back.

I noticed that there's only one population that waves all the time: the cops :D

Boxster Nut 07-24-2014 02:24 PM

Here in the Philadelphia area waving is a 50/50 from Boxsters and 911s. I try to wave at all Boxsters, Caymans and 911s. Cayenne's and Panamera's have no clue about the "wave".

I say, bring back the flash!Just saying.