Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #1

Garage
Tires

Bought new tires in September 2011 at 68,000 miles. I had the rear passenger tire go flat on me last November at 88,000 miles. Had the road hazard and they gave me a new tire for $20. (I was pretty shocked they prorated the entire tire, but I wasn't going to argue.)

Just noticed that my tires are about done. I rarely spin the tires, but I do corner at high speeds. I'm at 94,000 miles now. I wasn't sure which season I had the flat so I dug up the receipt and realized I just got that tire. Really went out and looked at them today and the "new" one looks weird.

Think I just got a bad tire?

I never had a problem with Goodyear tires before and I'm planning on sticking with them, but has anyone ever seen this before?

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #2

Garage
Is that the right rear tire? Looks like it has some irregular wear. If you rub your hand across the tread you can feel any non-smooth areas better than you can see. If it's worn in a diagonal pattern your shocks are weak.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #3

Garage
Yup. Right rear. Left rear looks to be wearing evenly. What strikes me as odd is they have roughly the same wear depth and the right rear has only 6000 miles on it while the left rear has 28000 miles on it.

I have never had the rears aligned as they told me something was frozen on it. I've had so many other issues I haven't had any time to look up what is frozen and what i may need to do to fix it. I'm thinking those "burrs" are probably being caused by a poor alignment, but it seems to be wearing evenly across the tire. Just a helluva lot faster.

I'll check for a diagonal pattern later today. Original shocks.

Last edited by CoBeerToad; 07-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Garage
Toad, since you are near me, my recommendation is to look at driving to south bend and having tires done at their facility. I believe it was 15 a tire for installation over their online price (obviously no shipping because you pick up from there). It was well worth the drive. Saved me about 100 bucks on my wife's focus and they have Hunter Road Force equipment which is the best there is.

Stick with the brand you like, but 33,000 miles is quite the feat. Were these all seasons or summer?

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote