986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Vinyl Wrapping your 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53324-vinyl-wrapping-your-986-a.html)

myn8m3is8ndy 07-21-2014 04:56 PM

Vinyl Wrapping your 986

Im planning to get my car vinyl wrapped. I found 2 that seems like a good wrap.

Matte black vinyl car wrap kit with complete toolset 30ft x 5ft VVIVID8 decal
Matte Black Vinyl Car Wrap Kit with Complete Toolset 30ft x 5ft VVIVID8 Decal | eBay

60in x 240in 3M 1080 MATTE BLACK Vinyl Scotchprint Car Wrap Film Sheet
60in x 240in 3M 1080 Matte Black Vinyl Scotchprint Car Wrap Film Sheet | eBay

Both are Matte Black. Only difference is that one is 3M and one is some brand that I've never heard about. MY questions are:

1.Has anyone ever tried vinyl wrapping their car themselves? If so, how was it?
2.Is the 20ftx5ft 3M enough to wrap the whole car? or should i go with the 30ftx5ft VVIVID8 cheaper one?

John Thomson 07-21-2014 11:04 PM

I am a signmaker with over 20 years experience.

Wrapping a car is not an easy thing to do if you want it to look good and last which is why a pro will take 3 days to do it and charge £1500+.

John

jeroen 07-22-2014 03:48 AM

What John says...
A good wrap takes a lot of practice

jb92563 07-22-2014 05:52 AM

Based on general experience since I have not done a wrap before, I would get the longer role so you have extra to replace sections you F'd up.

Also since your new to it, I would go with the better quality product as cheaper ones usually have less tolerance of mistakes. I assume 3M is a better product.

Granted you don't know the tricks of the trade but if you do enough online research and practice on a couple pieces first, a person with determination and plenty of time should be able to pull off a good wrap if they take it slow and careful.

I think it would be worth your while to buy some scraps of the brand you want to try and practice first to see how it might look and how it will go around the Boxsters compound curves on the fenders. Harbor Freight has adjustable heat blowers to help with the stretching and wrinkle removing process.

Dlirium 07-22-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeroen (Post 410962)
What John says...
A good wrap takes a lot of practice

Dip the car!!!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

myn8m3is8ndy 07-22-2014 11:20 AM

I've decided to go with the longer cheaper one. that way i have room for error.
I have a general sense on how to do it, and have all the time in the world, literally. I'll let you guys know how it goes lol

RandallNeighbour 07-22-2014 11:24 AM

I've seen a matte black boxster and was not impressed. But to each his own I guess.

I also put an invisible bra on the wife's new Lexus with a precut kit and woah, that was a lot harder than I thought it would be and the results were not all that great, and I'm a perfectionist and went slow and steady. I decided to do this myself to save $350 in labor. Now I see every bubble and crappy cut on it and I will throw good money after bad to have it all redone by a professional. Ugh!

In my opinion, wrapping a car should be left to a professional.

Top_Ramen 07-22-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 410983)

x2 for this idea!

myn8m3is8ndy 07-22-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all_mota (Post 411026)
x2 for this idea!

from what i heard, plastidip is terrible.

Joe B 07-22-2014 12:55 PM

Why would you want to Plastidip or vinyl wrap your car anyway? Is there something wrong with the paint job? Bad color :confused:?

particlewave 07-22-2014 01:01 PM

People hate it when someone shares a product or method of doing something that is every bit as good, but 10-100x cheaper than what they did.

Example:

Joe - "I paid $3k for my paint job"
Paul - "Really? I just Plasti-dipped my car for $300 and it looks amazing!"
Joe - "No, it doesn't. It only cost $300, so it's ghetto and fugly. I must protect my ego at all costs!"

Shut up, Joe... :rolleyes:

That said, a Plasti-dip job isn't going to look nearly as good as a $3k+ paint job, but I think I made my point. People will defend to the death the choices that they have made. I'm as guilty of this as anyone else :D

If vinyl wrap is more economically feasible for you, go for it! Vinyl has a learning curve, but you'll probably get the hang of it after a panel or 2.
Mistakes are easy to remedy and the entire thing is reversible.

Joe B 07-22-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 411033)
People hate it when someone shares a product or method of doing something that is every bit as good, but 10-100x cheaper than what they did.

Example:

Joe - "I paid $3k for my paint job"
Paul - "Really? I just Plasti-dipped my car for $300 and it looks amazing!"
Joe - "No, it doesn't. It only cost $300, so it's ghetto and fugly. I must protect my ego at all costs!"

Shut up, Joe... :rolleyes:

That said, a Plasti-dip job isn't going to look nearly as good as a $3k+ paint job, but I think I made my point. People will defend to the death the choices that they have made. I'm as guilty of this as anyone else :D

If vinyl wrap is more economically feasible for you, go for it! Vinyl has a learning curve, but you'll probably get the hang of it after a panel or 2.
Mistakes are easy to remedy and the entire thing is reversible.

So what that long-winded reply is trying to say is that it's cheaper than a new paint job? Kind of a roundabout way of making your point (which was what exactly?). You could have just said it's cheaper :rolleyes:! Who said anything about anyone hating anything? I just asked why do it.
"Shut up Particle :p!"

particlewave 07-22-2014 05:18 PM

I really wasn't talking to you. The name was just a coincidence.

The point of my post was that one's ego goes out of the way to protect oneself, even when it's abundantly clear that the choice was a bad one.
The secondary point of my post was that I'm sick and tired of these so-called "purists" bashing on anyone that wants to do something nontraditional with their Porshe or, God forbid, buy a non-Porsche part or DIY something.

Do-it-yourself! Everything!
That's just how I roll. Are you just now figuring this out? :D

cfos 07-22-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 411062)
I really wasn't talking to you. The name was just a coincidence.

The point of my post was that one's ego goes out of the way to protect oneself, even when it's abundantly clear that the choice was a bad one.
The secondary point of my post was that I'm sick and tired of these so-called "purists" bashing on anyone that wants to do something nontraditional with their Porshe or, God forbid, buy a non-Porsche part or DIY something.

Do-it-yourself! Everything!
That's just how I roll. Are you just now figuring this out? :D

It's called cognitive dissonance. And you forgot, in your secondary point, "or an automatic". ;)

myn8m3is8ndy 07-22-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 411031)
Why would you want to Plastidip or vinyl wrap your car anyway? Is there something wrong with the paint job? Bad color :confused:?

because my rear bumper's paint is really messed up and i really dont have the extra $1000 to get it repainted. All my money is set aside for upgrades:rolleyes:
plus, i always wanted a matte black car, seems more stealth lol

Van914 07-22-2014 06:03 PM

Be careful when trimming? Knife or blades will scar the paint. Saw a Cayman wrapped, the owner had it professionaly done. He says the use fishing line to trim no scars.
Good luck

Joe B 07-22-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myn8m3is8ndy (Post 411066)
because my rear bumper's paint is really messed up and i really dont have the extra $1000 to get it repainted. All my money is set aside for upgrades:rolleyes:
plus, i always wanted a matte black car, seems more stealth lol

A civil and straightforward answer. Sounds like a good reason. Thank you :)! I have no idea what particlewave is ranting about. I didn't see anyone "bashing" anything on this thread :rolleyes:! I guess to him asking someone to explain why they might do something to their car is called "bashing" it. That's not "how I roll!" :D

jdlmodelt 07-22-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 411031)

Man! Don't do it! My Boxster was parked next to a Lambo Diablo owned by an amature vinyl wrapper who does window tinting for a living. It looked so gettho and inappropriate. If that's what you are looking for go for it. A Boxster is way too classy to abuse with wrap. IMHO. :)

particlewave 07-22-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 411070)
I have no idea what particlewave is ranting about. I didn't see anyone "bashing" anything on this thread :rolleyes:! I guess to him asking someone to explain why they might do something to their car is called "bashing" it.

Passive aggressive bashing is still bashing. And the less disguised passive aggressive bashing was coming, as I knew and as you can see. I read these and other forums enough to know...let's not play stupid, eh? ;)
It wasn't a rant. It was meant to be taken somewhat lightly until you decided to call me out twice and make a show of it.
:troll:

I stick by my guns, OP.
Go for it. If you take your time and don't accept imperfections, it can turn out nice. ;)
I don't have any more troll food, so I'm out! :D
Good luck!

Pdwight 07-22-2014 09:40 PM

Its your car

Do what you like, but I recommend getting someone to do it for you...not an easy task by any means. Wrapping a car is like polishing a Japanese Sword........something any 10 year old can do with 20 years experience