986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster 03 - Low Engine Coolant Level (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53313-boxster-03-low-engine-coolant-level.html)

matt123 07-21-2014 07:16 AM

Boxster 03 - Low Engine Coolant Level

Hi all,

Was driving along merrily on Saturday when a message flashed up on my dash to check my engine coolant level. The light next to the temp guage was flashing fortunately I was close to home at the temperate never went above the normal temperature.

I waited for the engine to cool before checking the levels and it appears very low, below minimum which leads me to the questions where has it gone as I understand it is supposed to last a lifetime.

As a first step I was going to top the levels with a 50/50 mix of Porsche approved coolant and distilled water and monitor it to see if levels reduced. I bought the car second hand so not sure what levels were like before although it was serviced 6 months ago.

I have read a lot about ensuring you don't mix different colour of coolant. I was slightly confused as mine appears to be a greeny colour when all the coolant i can find online appears to be red. Any idea why this would be the case?

Any advice on the above or anything i should check/try would be appreciated.

cheers,

Matt

JFP in PA 07-21-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt123 (Post 410844)
Hi all,

Was driving along merrily on Saturday when a message flashed up on my dash to check my engine coolant level. The light next to the temp guage was flashing fortunately I was close to home at the temperate never went above the normal temperature.

I waited for the engine to cool before checking the levels and it appears very low, below minimum which leads me to the questions where has it gone as I understand it is supposed to last a lifetime.

As a first step I was going to top the levels with a 50/50 mix of Porsche approved coolant and distilled water and monitor it to see if levels reduced. I bought the car second hand so not sure what levels were like before although it was serviced 6 months ago.

I have read a lot about ensuring you don't mix different colour of coolant. I was slightly confused as mine appears to be a greeny colour when all the coolant i can find online appears to be red. Any idea why this would be the case?

Any advice on the above or anything i should check/try would be appreciated.

cheers,

Matt

Porsche reformulated their coolant some years back, and made it a pinkish red color so you can tell which is which. Fortunately, the pink stuff is fully compatible with the earlier green stuff.

I would closely monitor the system, looking for tell tale puddles under the car, wetness in the rear boot near the tank, etc. If nothing appears, and the coolant level drops again, I would have the system pressure tested.

edc 07-21-2014 08:38 AM

Check the cap to see if it is the latest 04 variant part number.

matt123 07-21-2014 08:47 AM

Thanks for replies, really appreciate it.

Had myself convinced for a few hours yesterday a new 911 was the best fix but probably should try this first.

Where is the best place to purchase the coolant from and how much will I need. It's very low currently.

I assume this water on amazon will do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Up-Water-DW005-De-Ionised/dp/B000Y8WA38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405961307&sr=8-2&keywords=distilled+water

In terms of the art of pouring, I assume best to mix in a measuring jug and pour away?

Thanks again

steved0x 07-21-2014 09:01 AM

Regular distilled water is good for minor top ups and for mixing with coolant to make the proper ratio. I had to add about a cup or two to my car when I first got it. Ever since then it hasn't lost any, thank goodness. If you are having to add a lot then you would want to mix the coolant with it so you don't disrupt the ratio of coolant to water.

JFP in PA 07-21-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt123 (Post 410862)
Thanks for replies, really appreciate it.

Had myself convinced for a few hours yesterday a new 911 was the best fix but probably should try this first.

Where is the best place to purchase the coolant from and how much will I need. It's very low currently.

I assume this water on amazon will do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Up-Water-DW005-De-Ionised/dp/B000Y8WA38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405961307&sr=8-2&keywords=distilled+water

In terms of the art of pouring, I assume best to mix in a measuring jug and pour away?

Thanks again

Buy your distilled water at your local supermarket, sells for about $1 per US gallon here.

thstone 07-21-2014 11:38 AM

My 996 was losing 1-2 cups of coolant per month - not a lot but enough to be noticable. Six months after replacing the cap with the lastest 04 version I still haven't had to add a drop. :)