Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Freaking out

Wednesday afternoon I went to my break and when I put the car on reverse a "tak-tak-tak-tak" sound came from what I think it could be the engine. I turned off the car and a minute later I turned it back on, no sound.
I called my Indi the next day and I told him how the sound hadn't happened again neither on the way back to work nor the way back home that day. He asked me to monitor it because I might bring it and we wouldn't be able to replicate it.
It hasn't been until this afternoon that it happened again.

I'm freaking out.

My tranny was just rebuilt back in May and I took care of the IMS then which was not necessarily cheap (7k) so a failing engine would def not be the best of news.
I don't know what it could be and its Saturday so there's nowhere to take it until Monday morning.

Help!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Wednesday afternoon I went to my break and when I put the car on reverse a "tak-tak-tak-tak" sound came from what I think it could be the engine. I turned off the car and a minute later I turned it back on, no sound.
I called my Indi the next day and I told him how the sound hadn't happened again neither on the way back to work nor the way back home that day. He asked me to monitor it because I might bring it and we wouldn't be able to replicate it.
It hasn't been until this afternoon that it happened again.

I'm freaking out.

My tranny was just rebuilt back in May and I took care of the IMS then which was not necessarily cheap (7k) so a failing engine would def not be the best of news.
I don't know what it could be and its Saturday so there's nowhere to take it until Monday morning.

Help!
I would start with who ever rebuilt the transmission since it only does it in reverse. I assume you got some sort of warranty from them. I just had a transmission rebuilt on another vehicle that came with a two year warranty.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #3

Update:
I took it to my Indi and they were unable to recreate the sound.
So last night I was driving out and it repeated the sound so I took video of it.
I don't know what made me do it but I tried moving the spoiler and it solved the problem.
As much as I'm glad that it's not the engine or the tranny (phew!) it now raises an additional question: what could be generating this problem with the spoiler?
I've also mentioned in another thread how now I'm also having issues with the battery and oil light coming on, also finding my spoiler up for no reason.
My only hint was this happening to another member as a result of having aftermarket headlight. As I also stated in the other thread I have been running with aftermarket headlight and tailights since October and this issue has started happening for the last 3 weeks.
Here I leave the link to the video:

http://youtu.be/b3JeqZcYCX0

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Still waiting to hear back about your setup

Not sure what Fred's deal is, lol
I think he is just over-worked.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Update:
I took it to my Indi and they were unable to recreate the sound.
So last night I was driving out and it repeated the sound so I took video of it.
I don't know what made me do it but I tried moving the spoiler and it solved the problem.
As much as I'm glad that it's not the engine or the tranny (phew!) it now raises an additional question: what could be generating this problem with the spoiler?
I've also mentioned in another thread how now I'm also having issues with the battery and oil light coming on, also finding my spoiler up for no reason.
My only hint was this happening to another member as a result of having aftermarket headlight. As I also stated in the other thread I have been running with aftermarket headlight and tailights since October and this issue has started happening for the last 3 weeks.
Here I leave the link to the video:

Weird noise - YouTube

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your car should have a declutching alternator pulley, and when these things crap out, they make a loud ratcheting like sound, and can cause the alternator to slow down, resulting in a system wide voltage drop, which can cause the MIL lights to come on.

Remove the car's serpentine belt and try turning the alternator pulley in both direction's, it should be real obvious if the pulley has gone out.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

^ this or your voltage regulator

Test the "proper" way. Your indy should have load testing equipment in-house. Under load, e.g. with car running, your regulator should push out min. 15.x volts. Not sure of the correct value but it's not 14.4 like many think it is

If not above 15.x volts then your regulator is shot ($50 part of similar?). Change that and your spoiler, multiple LEDs and aftermarket lights should shine like a diamond all over the place again brother

(or could be as simple as a bad batt throwing out less AMP 'than advertised on its sticker')

Luck
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Update:
So last Saturday night I went to the nearest Autozone after work (the Indi was closed) to check the state of the battery and alternator. They run the tests and it said both were fine.
My car is running with
A double DIN Pioneer radio (that came with the car when I bought it in Dec 2012)
Aftermarket Headlights with LED purchased from Jeff at ExtremeMotorsports with HIDs
Dectane all black LED taillights
I also changed the LED on my AC control the way Particle has it.
But I've been running the tailight and headlights since October of last year, the examples given have been lights coming on just as soon as something is installed.
Also when I took the car to the Indi, I forgot to add that, they also found that my top was not opening.

When I turn on the car, I find that if I turn on the lights it usually triggers the battery and/or oil lights along with lifting the spoiler.

I read a little about maybe the immobilizer being the issue, and it has been raining here in Miami quite a lot, but under my seat is bone dry.

Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Hey bat

What was the reading values for the battery voltage for both car not running and car running? Also have they performed a load test on the car, bringing it up to 100+amps or similar? during that test, that should have triggered your regulator to its max... what was the voltage reading value?

Other possibility, bad ground

Try this: Disconnect all lights and try reconnecting them one by one and try to replicate your MIL by connecting them back one-by-one. Do this while having all of your other accessories turned off
Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Might just be your key receptacle. It's made of plastic and when it craps out the car's electronics go haywire. I used to remember the right name for it and it's eluding me at the moment. Someone else can tell you what I'm talking about.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

The in-car light switch itself? How fragile those are, anybody knows? same as the ignition switch I'm guessing....
Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Garage
Can you feel the tsk tsk tsk in the spoiler? Physically feel it? Have you tried pulling the cover off the motor/behind rear seat to see if the sound is coming from the alternator or motor area or rear by the spoiler?
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
If electrical stuff is behaving weird and out of nowhere (open windows, moving spoiler, light Festival in the dash, clicking noises etc...) I would expect a dying battery.
Happened 4 times in the last 14 years...after the second time i stayed calm

I hope it is nothing serious
Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #13

@OP, did you ever find the answer to what was causing this funny behavior? Curious to find out what the final verdict was in this case.

Please come back and update us. Thanks!

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote