Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Garage
Tip not indicating P and wont start

the latest ailment afflicting my 99 Boxster Base Tiptronic is I stop the car and shift into "Park". the car is in Park and I shut the car off. I get back in and the car won't start. I thought it might be the ignition but I realized when I go to start the car even thought the shifter is in Park the indicator on the dash says its in R. When I turn the key and shift it out of park then push kind of hard into park the indicator shows it in Park then I can start the car. I am guessing there is some sort of a switch in the console? Does anyone have experience with this and can give me some guidance?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Don't know anything about Tip shifting, but really liked looking at property in Cranston. Son in law is atty in Providence.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Garage
I've never even seen a Tip before, but I would make sure that your car is indeed in Park. What I mean is park on an incline (or decline) and put the vehicle in Park and see if the trans engages the parking pawl in the transmission.

If that's all good, the sensor has to be misaligned, but I would not know where that would be. Either in the console or somewhere along the linkage.

ETA: I've had more than a couple cars roll down my driveway because that linkage got messed up. Only one wreck though. Hit another parked car once.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

could be the shifter cable has become loose which would explain why you have to push hard to park. do you notice any other problems shifting into other gears, like D to R?

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36418-few-us-tiptronic.html
Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 AM   #5

Garage
No other issues so far. its only when I stop and put it into park. The tranny is in park (not moving) but indicator light on dash indicates R. Should I try to tighten up the cable in the console?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #6

Garage
If it is engaging park and drive and reverse with no issue, I would imagine the cable is fine and the problem is with the sensor that is signaling to the computer. And I would further guess that the sensor is working fine, but has become misaligned. I'm very curious where that sensor would be. In the console or at the transmission?

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote