986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   tralering Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53245-tralering-boxster.html)

Box4two 07-16-2014 09:55 AM

tralering Boxster

Looking for advise, opinions........
We will be going to Florida for a month in December, and I'd love to have the Boxster there with me, but don't want to drive it down, especially in the middle of a Canadian winter.
So I thought it might be feasible to trailer it down, my other vehicle is a 2012 GMC Canyon 4X4 which would be doing the towing. Uhaul car hauler would cost me $450 each way. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Joe B 07-16-2014 10:17 AM

U-Haul: Auto Transport Rental

I hauled my Boxster from Boise ID to Jackson WY in December when I bought it. Worked great, except that it did need a good wash to get the slush off when I got it to the destination.

BYprodriver 07-16-2014 10:21 AM

I'd keep the $900 trailer fee = the $100 you save in better MPG & see what car you could rent in FLA. :)

steved0x 07-16-2014 10:23 AM

My old neighbors used to work for US Airways, and so they could fly for free a certain number of times a year. They would fly up North and drive cars down South for folks several times a year for a few hundred. I am out of touch with them now, (and not sure how to find someone like them) but something like that might be a resource for you.

JayG 07-16-2014 10:38 AM

you could probably buy a used trailer for close to the rental cost and then sell it when you got back home

jsceash 07-16-2014 11:39 AM

I have trailered mine with a similar older model Colorado. The towing weight is only 4200 on mine. I have bought an all aluminum flat trailer to stay in the limits you will be well above that weight with any rental trailer they are all steel. My car and trailer is 3768 tank on last quarter, and every additional pound taken out of the car. A similar steel trailer adds another 800 or 900 pounds.

RandallNeighbour 07-16-2014 11:43 AM

Florida is flat as a pancake and hot and humid, even in December. You might like that kind of weather being from Oh-Canada, especially in December, but to me it's not worth it to trailer a Boxster to this destination except for the fact that you could purposely stop in North Carolina and drive the Tail of the Dragon on your way to FL :)

I concur with BYprodriver. Save the money on trailer rental if you can't borrow one from someone (and you should be able to borrow one if you start asking around, or at the very least rent it from an individual for much less) and use that money to rent a really fun convertible while you're there.

Box4two 07-16-2014 12:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, the biggest reason for this is not only to have my own car there, but yes the convertible factor. I always rent a convertible while in Florida, and the best price I can find for that length of time in Dec. Is $1800-$2000:eek:
Might be worth just buying my own trailer.

Box4two 07-16-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 410259)
I have trailered mine with a similar older model Colorado. The towing weight is only 4200 on mine. I have bought an all aluminum flat trailer to stay in the limits you will be well above that weight with any rental trailer they are all steel. My car and trailer is 3768 tank on last quarter, and every additional pound taken out of the car. A similar steel trailer adds another 800 or 900 pounds.

Towing capacity on mine is 6000lbs