Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

A/C Question (2004 Boxster)

The A/C quit working last year on our '04 Boxster. I finally got around to checking things out today. It needed refrigerant. With a fresh charge, it now blows cold air. However, the fan speed is anemic! With the A/C off, there is great air flow from the fan. With the A/C on, not much at all. I don't remember that being the case before. Anyone know why the airflow would be much reduced when the A/C kicks on?

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Erik

genericwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #2

Does the fan speed increase and decrease when you manually adjust it? If so, read on.

On a hot day when the car interior is hot, set the AC controls to "AUTO" and set the desired interior temperature to the lowest possible setting. Is the fan speed still low?

If so, my guess is that your interior temperature sensor is broken. If this is the case, the AC system doesn't know it needs to run the fan speed on high to cool the interior more rapidly.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Does the fan speed increase and decrease when you manually adjust it? If so, read on.

On a hot day when the car interior is hot, set the AC controls to "AUTO" and set the desired interior temperature to the lowest possible setting. Is the fan speed still low?

If so, my guess is that your interior temperature sensor is broken. If this is the case, the AC system doesn't know it needs to run the fan speed on high to cool the interior more rapidly.
Thanks for the reply. The fan speed does change appropriately based on the interior temperature. However, the volume of air associated with each fan speed is MUCH lower when the A/C compressor is on. I understand that having to pull the air through the refrigerant coils will have some effect. But I wouldn't have thought this much.

Ideas?

Erik

genericwood is offline   Reply With Quote