Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 AM   #1

Road trip to Stuttgart next week

We are off on a road trip next week in "Porky" our Boxster S.

Car was fully serviced and checked over yesterday and was given a clean bill of health.
New air con condensers fitted and my double din sat nav is in and working fine so hopefully we will have no issues.

We leave on Tuesday for a 2 week blast around Europe.....

Drive from Scotland to Dover, across to Calais......

Down to St Tropez for 3 days, Monaco for 4 days, then Lake Como in Italy for 3 days, drive through the Swiss Alps to Stuttgart for 2 days ( museum only as the factory tours were fully booked ) and back up via Epernay for an overnight.

Should be an exciting trip

John

John Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Color me green with envy. You best share some pictures with us!
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Garage
Jealous. Have a fun and safe trip.

I'll be in Scotland for the Ryder Cup in September, and I'm thinking of hopping over to Germany for Oktoberfest/Porsche Museum visit. Looking forward to some pics and details of your road trip when you return.

I don't envy driving on the right side of the road with a left-drive car. I did that once before in Ireland. I prefer to keep myself towards the middle of the road no matter which country I'm in.

-T
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
2004 2.7 Tip Lapis Blue

Sounds like a great trip. I just come back from blast round Scottish Highlands west coast...through Glecoe, Applecross, Ullapool etc. top down the whole trip which is unusual for Scotland. Those roads were just made for Porsches. Have a great time in Europe, I'm hoping to do something similar next year.

On separate issue....did you install the double din yourself or use a shop. I'm looking for someone in Glasgow area to fit one for me.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

Garage
That is quite the route! Pictures are highly necessary!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

4.30am here in the UK and we are off on our road trip.....450 miles to catch the ferry at Dover this afternoon

John
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #7

Sitting posting from Monaco

Two day drive to St Tropez was long......1300 miles but the car took it in its stride......never missed a beat....the sat nav threw a hissy fit and needed a reset but seemed to be an operating system error and it has not happened again and we literally would have been lost without it.......seems to be a really good system.

Drove the coast road from St Tropez to Monaco with the top down......stopped in the centre of Cannes for lunch

Had to wash the car as the flies and dust had it looking terrible.

28 degrees today so I am glad I got the air con condensers replaced...it is on all the time......radiator cooling fans are doing a lot of work.

Cars in St Tropez are fantastic......Monaco even better.....Lamborghini,Mclaren,Ferrari......lots of Porsche,Bently and Rolls Royce.

Drove around the GP circuit a few times today.......down to a standstill at the entrance to the tunnel........redline in first and second......really childish but what a noise

John
Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thomson View Post
Sitting posting from Monaco

Two day drive to St Tropez was long......1300 miles but the car took it in its stride......never missed a beat....the sat nav threw a hissy fit and needed a reset but seemed to be an operating system error and it has not happened again and we literally would have been lost without it.......seems to be a really good system.

Drove the coast road from St Tropez to Monaco with the top down......stopped in the centre of Cannes for lunch

Had to wash the car as the flies and dust had it looking terrible.

28 degrees today so I am glad I got the air con condensers replaced...it is on all the time......radiator cooling fans are doing a lot of work.

Cars in St Tropez are fantastic......Monaco even better.....Lamborghini,Mclaren,Ferrari......lots of Porsche,Bently and Rolls Royce.

Drove around the GP circuit a few times today.......down to a standstill at the entrance to the tunnel........redline in first and second......really childish but what a noise

John
Spot a 918, you better have a camera ready for us.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #9

Drove from France through Switzerland to Lake Como, Italy 2 weeks ago, very beautiful place and great food/atmosphere!!! I was chasing down Alfas and Audi A3s doing 170km/h (105mph) in a Citroen DS3 on the Italian highway.

Last edited by ekam; 07-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Spot a 918, you better have a camera ready for us.
Sorry Jake.....no 918.......2 Enzo's today though !!!.....1 on the road and 1 in the Ferrari workshop.....a chrome wrapped Mercedes SLR, a Ford GT (40), Mercedes SL 63 Black, a Lamborghni Aventador convertible in black with blood red interior, 911 Turbos are comonplace as are all Ferrari models.....Bently and Rolls Royce are everywhere.......

I blagged a valet parking space outside the Gucci shop in the Hotel de Paris parking zone (parking in any car park here is 20 Euros for a day!).......made my day when we walked past and we saw people stop to take phone pics of our Boxster

Lots of photos to post up when we get home.

Porky is fuelled up and we are off to Lake Como in the morning.

John
Old 07-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

I agree Lake Como is beautiful......the Italien drivers are crazy on really narrow roads with steep drops.

Drove from Como to Stuttgart today.....went over the St Gotthard Pass rather than through the tunnel........what a piece of road/engineering!

Porsche factory museum trip tomorrow........then we are in Germany for the World Cup final.

John
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thomson View Post
I agree Lake Como is beautiful......the Italien drivers are crazy on really narrow roads with steep drops.

Drove from Como to Stuttgart today.....went over the St Gotthard Pass rather than through the tunnel........what a piece of road/engineering!
John
John you are right, last month we drove from Stuttgart to Lake Como through Innsbruck and the road is breathtaking! I am sure you enjoyed your Boxter :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #13

Back home

3300 miles in 14 days.........the trip was fantastic and Porky never missed a beat....fabulous car.

Porsche Museum was excellent with a superb array of Porsche in the underground car park and the dealership opposite.

Will sort some photos soon.

John
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

The day they build a bridge.....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The day they build a bridge.....
That bridge better have a carpool lane and a fairly high speed limit. Gas up on Easter island right?