986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   2001 Boxster exhaust rattle (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53152-2001-boxster-exhaust-rattle.html)

Poeschel1 07-11-2014 12:17 AM

2001 Boxster exhaust rattle

Help!!!

My Boxster has an odd exhaust rattle. Only present at peak temp, as soon as it idles for 30 seconds and cools down the rattle quiets.

I've worked with my local shop to rule out all heat shields. Replaced the muffler and header cats.

I've read just about every exhaust rattle post and just can't figure it out.

About to give up after spending months, huge $$$ and getting nowhere...:mad:

Any suggestions welcome...

myn8m3is8ndy 07-13-2014 03:48 PM

i had a rattle for my 02 boxster. shop said it was the exhaust system but wasnt sure if it was the muffler or cats. i ended up just installing on a secondary cat bypass, or test pipes, whichever one you want to call it, and the rattle went away.

Chronohunter 07-13-2014 10:27 PM

Rattle or a squeak?

Mine squeaks when hot and it had the cat-delete mid pipes, everything seems rock solid mounting wise. I have heard it can come from either inside the cats (on the exhaust manifold) or a broken weld in the muffler itself. Very hard to figure out because of the crazy heat in the area while you are checking everything (and it has to be hot to make the noise). I don't want to have to replace my muffler since it has the Pedro's mod and it sounds glorious!

Chronohunter 07-13-2014 10:29 PM

mine squeaks when hot and it has the cat-delete mid pipes, everything seems rock solid mounting wise. I have heard it can come from either inside the cats (on the exhaust manifold) or a broken weld in the muffler itself. Very hard to figure out because of the crazy heat in the area while you are checking everything (and it has to be hot to make the noise). I don't want to have to replace my muffler since it has the Pedro's mod and it sounds glorious!

Chronohunter 07-13-2014 10:30 PM

Duplicate post sorry

ilikeching 07-14-2014 01:14 PM

Use a rubber hammer to tap thru exhaust, maybe you'll find the problem area..

batshapedheart 07-15-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poeschel1 (Post 409540)
Help!!!

My Boxster has an odd exhaust rattle. Only present at peak temp, as soon as it idles for 30 seconds and cools down the rattle quiets.

I've worked with my local shop to rule out all heat shields. Replaced the muffler and header cats.

I've read just about every exhaust rattle post and just can't figure it out.

About to give up after spending months, huge $$$ and getting nowhere...:mad:

Any suggestions welcome...

Ugh, I have this same issue. It started after I got my transmission rebuilt. :confused:

Poeschel1 07-19-2014 07:15 PM

After replacing the muffler and headers, it turns out it was the RH secondary Cat.

I replaced both mid pipes with Top Speed test pipes.

Problem solved!!! :)

Thanks for the responses.

Chronohunter 07-19-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poeschel1 (Post 410682)
After replacing the muffler and headers, it turns out it was the RH secondary Cat.

I replaced both mid pipes with Top Speed test pipes.

Problem solved!!! :)

Thanks for the responses.

That's great :)