Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Garage
Porsche 988 Opinion Thread

New Info on Porsche's Mid-Engined 960/988 Ferrari-Fighter

A flat 8 quad turbo mid engine Porsche, likely on a similar chassis to the Huracan and next R8. Could be interesting, with what they can get out of a 6 cylinder I would expect this to be nearly 918 fast if not faster.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

I have been wanting Porsche to build

another flat 8 or a flat 10 for the longest...that is going to be one sweet sounding engine. The quad turbo part is interesting, I am just hoping they do not muffle the sound of the engine too much. I would much rather see a free revving NA "GT3 esque" engine more than anything else.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
New Info on Porsche's Mid-Engined 960/988 Ferrari-Fighter

A flat 8 quad turbo mid engine Porsche, likely on a similar chassis to the Huracan and next R8. Could be interesting, with what they can get out of a 6 cylinder I would expect this to be nearly 918 fast if not faster.
You are truly unique Mr Bigjake let me tell you this!

Most of the guys of your age I occasionally get to 'car-talk' with all tells me about, or dream, the modern GPS guided urban transport settings. Maybe an American thing with the strong car culture over there but here my friend... it's all "I hate cars" Go Go electric or assisted transport stuff. Long life to SmartPhones, games and Google spellcheck ect ect

Love that gold Porsche car on that link you provided. Nice find.

Keep up the hobby going buddy!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You are truly unique Mr Bigjake let me tell you this!

Most of the guys of your age I occasionally get to 'car-talk' with all tells me about, or dream, the modern GPS guided urban transport settings. Maybe an American thing with the strong car culture over there but here my friend... it's all "I hate cars" Go Go electric or assisted transport stuff. Long life to SmartPhones, games and Google spellcheck ect ect

Love that gold Porsche car on that link you provided. Nice find.

Keep up the hobby going buddy!
Well we have a good many car guys over here, but ever since fast and furious came out, most of these kids only care about drifting and really big turbos. Everyone worships the Nissan GTR, yet most of them do not even know what an Alfa Romeo is???
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

The GTR is a perfectly good car to worship. Before the 918 demolished 7:00, the GTR owned anything from Porsche or Ferrari at the N-ring.

I would rather see Porsche build the 918 with a conventional engine (~350 HP) and less exotic materials, for Carrera/Boxster GTS money.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

But the real question is how many cup holders does it have and do my fat butt fit in it?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The GTR is a perfectly good car to worship. Before the 918 demolished 7:00, the GTR owned anything from Porsche or Ferrari at the N-ring.

I would rather see Porsche build the 918 with a conventional engine (~350 HP) and less exotic materials, for Carrera/Boxster GTS money.
It is respectable, but these kids only care about the numbers, horsepower and crap, don't know that they can have a better experience in a Citroen 2cv than a GTR.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
It is respectable, but these kids only care about the numbers, horsepower and crap, don't know that they can have a better experience in a Citroen 2cv than a GTR.
If I lent you the keys to a Citroen or a GTR you wouldn't take the latter?
C'mon be honest....

but I agree most guys, young or not, go for the shiny object even if they know nothing about the hundreds of thousands of hours of engineering that went into Godzilla.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote