986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Recommendations for Mechanical Work? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53144-recommendations-mechanical-work.html)

MacGrad 07-10-2014 12:16 PM

Recommendations for Mechanical Work?

I just recently purchased a base 2002 Boxster with about 56K miles, and I'm getting some mechanical work done on it that was identified during the PPI.

At the moment, it's primarily smaller stuff -- engine coils and tubes, chain guides -- and I'm looking into an IMS retrofit (either the ceramic replacement or the TechnoDOF).

However, are there other items I should be getting checked / replaced at this mileage that may / may not be noticed during the PPI? I've seen comments about replacing the AOS, the engine mounts, etc., so I'm trying to compile a list of items that I should keep an eye on.

Tucker2 07-10-2014 05:14 PM

Official 60K Porsche Service is:
Oil and Filter
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Belt
Pollen Filter
Fuel Filter
As well as inspection of about everything on the car.

(This list is from a print out from my local Porsche dealer)

I have same year car as yours at 58K. Purchased at 56K. I've done everything above except the fuel filter and pollen filter. (Belt was just an inspection....it looks brand new). I've also changed my leaky spark-plug tubes, changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes and changed my tranny fluid.

thstone 07-10-2014 05:18 PM

Most of the "other" things (water pump, thermostat, AOS, engine mounts, shocks, etc...) need to be checked but are probably good until >80K miles. Just my personal recommendation, I'm sure others will chime in.

Topless 07-10-2014 08:12 PM

Clean oil, clean trans fluid, clean brake fluid, clean PS fluid. If you know it has been done recently you are ok but if not, have it done. Moisture can contaminate these fluids and cause corrosion inside major components. Fresh fluids are always good preventative maintenance.

Jake Raby 07-10-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGrad (Post 409464)
I just recently purchased a base 2002 Boxster with about 56K miles, and I'm getting some mechanical work done on it that was identified during the PPI.

At the moment, it's primarily smaller stuff -- engine coils and tubes, chain guides -- and I'm looking into an IMS retrofit (either the ceramic replacement or the TechnoDOF).

However, are there other items I should be getting checked / replaced at this mileage that may / may not be noticed during the PPI? I've seen comments about replacing the AOS, the engine mounts, etc., so I'm trying to compile a list of items that I should keep an eye on.

Yes, the shop that you choose fore the work should have attended our classes. If so, they will carry out an extensive pre- qualification procedure to ensure that your engine is healthy enough to be retrofitted.

Tucker2 07-10-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 409525)
Yes, the shop that you choose fore the work should have attended our classes.

For the record...I've done all my own work...no shop involved and as strange as it sounds, the Boxster is one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on. Total surprise to me. TOTAL SURPRISE.

I think I've spend between $300 and $350 so far on everything I've done.