Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

2001 window and other issues

hi all! This is my first post but I have been reading them for years. So here is the deal. A friend left his 2001 sitting for 4 months outside uncovered! I offer to resurrect it. We ended up replacing a dead battery, so dead that the we had to pull the emergency cable from under the passenger side wheel well. We got it running and now we are down to only 4 problems. power locks do not work, key fab doesn't work, radio has no power and the window switches don't work. The windows lower when the doors open although the driver side gets stuck sometimes. They lower when the top goes down but nothing happens when the switches are pressed. is there a way to check switches without spending $100 on new switches? Just yesterday the windows were working for 24 hours. HELP!!!

Rich's Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Garage
I am going to throw a question - why did it get parked for 4 months? The reason behind that can often be the clue to the current issue.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich's Boxster View Post
hi all! This is my first post but I have been reading them for years. So here is the deal. A friend left his 2001 sitting for 4 months outside uncovered! I offer to resurrect it. We ended up replacing a dead battery, so dead that the we had to pull the emergency cable from under the passenger side wheel well. We got it running and now we are down to only 4 problems. power locks do not work, key fab doesn't work, radio has no power and the window switches don't work. The windows lower when the doors open although the driver side gets stuck sometimes. They lower when the top goes down but nothing happens when the switches are pressed. is there a way to check switches without spending $100 on new switches? Just yesterday the windows were working for 24 hours. HELP!!!
Did you check fuse C3? Did the CLU under the driver's seat get wet?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster View Post
Did you check fuse C3? Did the CLU under the driver's seat get wet?
This. Wet immobilizer from clogged drain below windshield. Leaves got in there.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

CLU was wet

Due to a separation he lost his garage so it sat out in the elements. He has ordered a cover! Yes, we did find water under drivers seat and unclogged the drains and sat the CLU in rice overnight ( wet cell phone trick). Fuses have been replaced. Would a wet CLU only mess with locks, radio and windows?
Rich's Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich's Boxster View Post
Due to a separation he lost his garage so it sat out in the elements. He has ordered a cover! Yes, we did find water under drivers seat and unclogged the drains and sat the CLU in rice overnight ( wet cell phone trick). Fuses have been replaced. Would a wet CLU only mess with locks, radio and windows?
If things got wet perhaps you have several issues to contend with simultaneously. What fuses were blown if any? Knowing Blown this could help you to better identify potential issues IMO.

You might want to consider opening up the module, cleaning the CLU circuit board with isopropel alcohol and eliminating any obvious signs of moisture/condensation..

Last edited by Miata2Boxster; 07-08-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote