986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Is it worth getting a computer based Diagnostic? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53065-worth-getting-computer-based-diagnostic.html)

Miata2Boxster 07-05-2014 07:16 AM

Is it worth getting a computer based Diagnostic?

My 2001 Boxster base with 74K on her is in generally good shape. I am thinking of taking a long road trip this summer in this car and would like to limit or reduce risk of breakdowns along the way. I am wondering if it is worth getting a diagnostic test from the dealership despite a lack of apparent major issues? Does anyone know the approximate cost of such testing? thanks

I'll add I have not yet dealt with changing the IMS bearings. The prior owner recently had a new clutch installed but did nothing to address this potential issue.

JFP in PA 07-05-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster (Post 408674)
My 2001 Boxster base with 74K on her is in generally good shape. I am thinking of taking a long road trip this summer in this car and would like to limit or reduce risk of breakdowns along the way. I am wondering if it is worth getting a diagnostic test from the dealership despite a lack of apparent major issues? Does anyone know the approximate cost of such testing? thanks

I'll add I have not yet dealt with changing the IMS bearings. The prior owner recently had a new clutch installed but did nothing to address this potential issue.

With dealers charging north of $125 and hour, you are better off buying your own Durametric system for about $290. Use it more than once, and you are ahead of the game, plus you can resell it later.

Miata2Boxster 07-05-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 408681)
With dealers charging north of $125 and hour, you are better off buying your own Durametric system for about $290. Use it more than once, and you are ahead of the game, plus you can resell it later.

That sounds good to me.....I am trying to avoid the local Porsche dealership like a would a plague.

Is there a particular Durametric model # that you would suggest? I'll look at the one that costs around $290 for starters. thanks

Miata2Boxster 07-05-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 408681)

The "Pro" Durametric system version 6 looks interesting to me.

thstone 07-05-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster (Post 408685)
The "Pro" Durametric system looks interesting to me.

Unless you have multiple Porsche's or a newer Porsche (2006 and on) there are very few "coding" options that can be turned on for the 986 cars. And regardless, no Durametric can code for a new ECU, immobilizer, or key fob (which is what most people want!). Hence, most 986 owners buy the Enthusiast version (or a used Enthusiast with 1 or 2 VIN's remaining).

Miata2Boxster 07-05-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 408686)
Unless you have multiple Porsche's or a newer Porsche (2006 and on) there are very few "coding" options that can be turned on for the 986 cars. And regardless, no Durametric can code for a new ECU, immobilizer, or key fob (which is what most people want!). Hence, most 986 owners buy the Enthusiast version (or a used Enthusiast with 1 or 2 VIN's remaining).

Understood, thanks!