Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Garage
Guage Swap on a 99 Boxster

I have a 99 Boxster. I purchased a gauge cluster from a newer S, I think. My current cluster if fine but the cluster I bought has the silver trim rings which is why I bought it in the first place but it also has white gauge faces which I like better than my black faces. I have swapped the gauge clusters for now to see how the white faces cluster works. it has a damaged LCD where the temp is displayed not too bad but noticeable and the mileage on it is 122k where my car has 80k. Does anyone have instructions on how to take these clusters apart? can I just swap the white faces for the black faces and swap the clear covers with the silver trim rings?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, you can swap just the faces and the front half of the outer case. Try searching for a how-to on a gauge swap or repair. I think I may even have one somewhere...

There are two plastic snaps on the case that hold it together; one on the top and one on the bottom; and two metal clips on the ends where the screws pass through the cluster to hold it to the surround; lastly, slide the 2 ribbon connectors away from the circuitboard from the rear of the cluster.

I don't remember all the details, but it's pretty simple.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #3

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41883-gauge-cluster-repair.html

You can find instructions for disassembling the cluster in this post.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote