986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   PDK with sport mode (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53027-pdk-sport-mode.html)

jsceash 07-03-2014 03:33 AM

PDK with sport mode

Has anyone driven a PDK Boxster. Seriously looking at a 2011 with PDK and sport plus control.

Topless 07-03-2014 05:49 AM

Oh yeah!! A phenomenal piece of kit. Perfect lightening upshifts every time along with match-rev downshifts. It is way better than we are and I may have to have one at some point just for the experience.

Perfectlap 07-03-2014 06:41 AM

Most people fall into two categories: they're getting older and are tired of rowing gears.
Or they enjoy an automatic Porsche as well, particularly in sport mode, but after a few months they're bored. This also applies to many people who go from Boxster to an AWD 911.

So in other words, every guy in the room loves it at first. No one's going to tell you anything you're not going to like hearing about PDK.
Kind of like dating a Brazilian bikini model that turns out to be missing a few qualities you've really come to depend on and she's not really interested in changing.

p.s.
I hope most of the people ordering new 981 Cayman/Boxsters are not lured into PDK because of these neat tricks like perfect up and down change (it's an automatic that's what it's supposed to do). I'm not one to tell anyone what to buy but those of us who avoid buying new cars at all costs are not touching out-of-warranty automatic Porsche transmissions with a 10 foot pole. Are there any indy's who know how to work on PDK or all they all just stockpiling them from the wreckers? In addition to not taking a bath on depreciation, I like to own my cars longer than 4 years. It's a win win with a manual.

BIGJake111 07-03-2014 07:43 AM

I would get a manual simply because at that point, it may be the minority and someone will be more willing to buy your car, resale wise, that the much more abundant automatics.

rp17 07-03-2014 08:55 AM

Bumper to bumper traffic is the only downside of a stick.

jsceash 07-04-2014 08:03 AM

Drove a 2011 Boxster with PDK and sport crono package with paddle shift. Then a 2009 Cayman S it had the same features but the button shift + / - on both sides. There is no way to compare the shifting on either car to how I can shift. The throttle blips on its own at revs in every downshift. I enjoyed the manual mode in sport and sport plus and never put either into Automatic. I really liked the Cayman and am giving it serious thought. I would say if you get the opportunity drive one.

thstone 07-04-2014 09:05 AM

I have driven PDK's on the street and on the track and hated them. An automatic is an automatic.

Also, think about what this transmission is going to cost when it fails.

The best that I can recommend is to drive several of them and see what you think/like. Choose wisely.

cfos 07-04-2014 04:04 PM

Yes. My 2013 981 is a pdk. I love it. I also owned the 2009 launch 997.2S with sport chrono plus, and thought it was a great car. Having said that, I've never understood the allure of "rowing gears", I don't care about projected resale nor do I think having a manual adds value -- then again, I buy my cars new and if I don't see something I like, I'd just build it.

rp17 07-04-2014 08:10 PM

I saw a video on youtube comparing a 911 gt3 or turbo to the Ferrari Italia? Anways,Porshe was definately a stick. After that comparison porshe went to work or completed this pdk. They had too to level the playing field I guess. Prob from comparisons like that. But I remember when if you couldn't drive a stick, then Ferraris and Lambos were not for you. Times have changed and the pdk just may be all that it is. Hopefully after a year or so, the hype wears thin. Stick still more fun to drive. Sorry for the rant. :ah:

The pdk is sport mode is very nice.

j.fro 07-05-2014 02:34 AM

I drove an 09 Carrera S with PDK. It did everything I wish I could do better than I ever will, every time. If I had the PDK in my autocross car, my times would drop by .2 - .5 seconds on any course. For a DD or street car, though, I'll take the manual.

Ebell914 07-06-2014 09:01 AM

I drove a PDK Boxster, as well as a dual-clutch M3....most boring drive ever!!!!! I hope this PDK hype dies soon....it is just no fun.

I can understand those wanting an automatic - but to replace all manual cars like Ferrari and Lambo have done??? Just crazy.