986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Thinking of purchasing 2013 boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53023-thinking-purchasing-2013-boxster.html)

Lamps 07-02-2014 05:35 PM

Thinking of purchasing 2013 boxster

Hello All:

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advise. I am thinking of buying a used 2013 boxster (base) with 17k miles. The car was used as a rental car and I'm worried about Porsche's reputation for often repairs and the potential money I could be getting into. Carfax says the car is clear but I don't know how the car was driven or maintained.

Please let me know if there is something I should look for and/or your opinion on purchasing a 2013 used car. I'm excited, I really want the car, and it's a great price considering the market - but don't want to screw myself in the long run.

Thanks.

BYprodriver 07-02-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 408348)
Hello All:

Thank you in advance for your opinions and advise. I am thinking of buying a used 2013 boxster (base) with 17k miles. The car was used as a rental car and I'm worried about Porsche's reputation for often repairs and the potential money I could be getting into. Carfax says the car is clear but I don't know how the car was driven or maintained.

Please let me know if there is something I should look for and/or your opinion on purchasing a 2013 used car. I'm excited, I really want the car, and it's a great price considering the market - but don't want to screw myself in the long run.

Thanks.

Have the best LATE model Porsche mechanic available inspect it before you buy it. It is too new to have any known issues like the older models but with a rental car you never know what you might find. Probably nothing more than 1 oil change for maintenance history.

Deserion 07-03-2014 03:17 AM

I doubt it would've needed much at this stage in its life. How is the price compared to other similar '13s? Does it still have a warranty?

recycledsixtie 07-03-2014 04:34 AM

Even though it only has 17k miles on as a rental car you could have had a couple of maniacs driving it in its past . Get the codes read- overrevved etc ?

Get the best PPI you can find. After all you are paying big $$$ still. I would not hesitate buying a rental car except check for accident history and how it is mechanically.

Good luck. If you find something wrong on the PPI if you want to pursue it still get it at a lower price.

Cheers, Guy.

Lamps 07-03-2014 12:35 PM

Thanks.

It is still covered under warranty until 4 years or 50k miles - plus I am thinking of buying the extended 100k warranty. As for price, its good in comparison to other 13's - probably because of the miles.

Flavor 987S 07-03-2014 12:50 PM

I would take your "rental car budget" and merge it with your "100k warranty budget" and buy a CPO'd car from a Porsche dealership. No way in hell would I ever buy a past rental car.

thstone 07-03-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 408481)
No way in hell would I ever buy a past rental car.

^^^ He beat me to it! ^^^

Rental miles are like dog years.

BIGJake111 07-03-2014 02:24 PM

Be very wary of a rental, in Porsche terms that is actually alot of miles for how old it is, and those are not gingerly driven either. I am not saying to avoid the car, but have it looked at and make sure the price is worth the fact it used to be a rental.