Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

green bits in the oil

I changed the oil today and found these green bits in the filter. They're not metallic - I tried picking them up with a magnet. Took them to the local Porsche mechanic, and he had no idea. Anyone have any thoughts?

The razor blade is just for perspective, although depending on what this turns out to be I might use it to slit my wrists.....

Jellis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

Oh - 2000 S 46k, no IMS update
Jellis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

plastic chain tensioner pad material. common - lots of info about it on this forum. you may see the associated increase in cam deviation as the pad wears, and hear the 'startup rattle' as the chains slap on the pads and chew bits off. the replacement oem part is of a harder material and appears to be a cure. in the interim try an oil with a heavier cold weight so that there is some oil on the pads at startup. not much else to do; the engine will throw a cel when the pads wear enough to cause a cam deviation that is of concern to the computer (Porsche spec is max 6 degrees, but the cel doesn't seem to trigger until 9 or so I think).

Last edited by The Radium King; 07-03-2014 at 07:48 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote