Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Motor mount

I suspect I have a worn motor mount. My symptoms are: thump on hard acceleration and immediate release of the gas after. A thump if I don't let out the clutch extremely slowly and finally there is a creeking sound when turning. I took off the engine cover that sits behind the seats and revved the engine to see if there is a lot of play but it didn't move much. Is this not a good way to test the motor mount or do I have another issue on my hands? Thanks in advance.

818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #2

sounds like motor mounts to me. these flat sixes are pretty well balanced as shown from the smooth idles and such, but when the driveline is engaged there will be torqueing effect which will cause engine movement unless it is well secured.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #3

Sounds like a motor mount to me also. I had the same thunk on acceleration and deceleration. The easiest way to tell if the front mount is bad, is to have someone follow you and watch the tailpipe. If it moves up and down when you accelerate, it is time for a new front mount.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

My 2000 with 108k has the same clunk. Going in tomorrow to get the mount replaced.

Update... New mount in, clunk is gone, and very noticeable difference. With new bushing and install (including $75.00 to remove old bushing and press new one in) it cas around $350 total.

Last edited by jrcui; 07-22-2014 at 02:54 PM.
jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #5

Garage
I just replaced mine for no reason I had to remove the motor mount to replace the so decided to replace mount also. I did it myself for less than $150. Pedro's board and pelican have great DIY on this.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #6

Garage
I replace mine (DIY) around 60k miles. I didn't have any of the harsh behavior you guys describe, just a bit of vibration at speed.
When I did pull out the old, it was torn and definitely in need of replacement. I never felt much improvement but it did need to be replaced. I suspect this is a maintenance item around each 60- 70k worth of driving
It's a cheap fix ($150 +) but a bit of PITA as a DIY only because of it's location, removing all the under panels and dealing with the cooling hoses
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

The other dead giveaway not mentioned here:

If the mount is broken, you can see the shifter move when in gear accelerating or decelerating. The engine lifts up against the cables when the mount is broken.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #8

Just got my motor mount replaced. It fixed all of my problems! Car feels amazing! Thanks.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

Check the transmission mounts as well?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
Check the transmission mounts as well?
Where are the tranny mounts located?