986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant leaking under my Porsche Boxster 97 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52849-coolant-leaking-under-my-porsche-boxster-97-a.html)

ajivraj 06-21-2014 03:07 AM

Coolant leaking under my Porsche Boxster 97

Hi,

So I finally got a chance to buy a Porsche, it was a great deal with great looks! Just got the car a week today from Japan. I stay in Africa btw! So yesterday I took the car out for a real spin, however after a 11km ride when I got home the right hand side vent was blowing out steam usually related to over heating however the temp marker didn't show it was over heating just a little unusually high around 90.

Anyways I parked it went to bed however in the morning I realised the coolant is pouring out from under the car at mid engine point like a steady tap. I topped up coolant but in an hour it was empty again. Obviously all pouring out under the car. I am really worried now, I don't know what it could be, I have heard it could be the water pump or loose hose...blah blah but I was hoping one of you experts could shed more light on why this has happened and what could be the possible solution. Will really appreciate your help guys!

Heiko 06-21-2014 03:41 AM

Could be just a hose... I wouldn't panic yet, but I wouldn't drive it unless you know the coolant will stay in the system. If you have a place you can raise the car and get underneath to locate where the water is coming from it would be best, otherwise have it towed somewhere. If the tank was leaking, you'd have coolant under the trunk mat, if the coolant cap or pressure release was leaking it would be coming out in behind right rear wheel (at the drain hose).... exact middle of the car are just the hoses which of course are covered by plastic protective panels, so if there is a leak, the water will find its way to either end of the panels; near the front of the engine is the water pump and thermostat housing and of course your hose connections... so there could be lots of places.

Jamesp 06-21-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajivraj (Post 406652)
Hi,

So I finally got a chance to buy a Porsche, it was a great deal with great looks! Just got the car a week today from Japan. I stay in Africa btw! So yesterday I took the car out for a real spin, however after a 11km ride when I got home the right hand side vent was blowing out steam usually related to over heating however the temp marker didn't show it was over heating just a little unusually high around 90.

Anyways I parked it went to bed however in the morning I realised the coolant is pouring out from under the car at mid engine point like a steady tap. I topped up coolant but in an hour it was empty again. Obviously all pouring out under the car. I am really worried now, I don't know what it could be, I have heard it could be the water pump or loose hose...blah blah but I was hoping one of you experts could shed more light on why this has happened and what could be the possible solution. Will really appreciate your help guys!

No need to panic, it sounds like a hose or the water pump. Either is easily diagnosed and repaired. You cannot run the car until it is repaired however or the car can be severely damaged, perhaps enough to make it not worth repairing.