986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Having issues with your convertible top mechanism drive gears? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52738-having-issues-your-convertible-top-mechanism-drive-gears.html)

Mark at Pelican Parts 06-09-2014 03:10 PM

Having issues with your convertible top mechanism drive gears?

Pelican Parts would like to offer one 986forum member a free set of convertible top mechanism gears for that member to install and review here with the community.

Reply here if you know your convertible top issues are directly related to your drive gears of your '97 - '11 Boxster. First to respond who's willing to complete the above will receive the set (1 left and 1 right drive gear).

The gears are manufactured by Odometer Gears and display the high-quality in material and finish you've come to expect from these folks.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1402355224.jpg

Thank you
Mark/Pelican Parts

Mark at Pelican Parts 06-13-2014 01:58 PM

Let us know if you have any questions!

Mark/Pelican Parts

lostinsuisse 06-14-2014 02:26 AM

My '01 Boxster S top recently failed, but I haven't had time to diagnose the problem, so I can't take you up on your offer yet. I'll try to do the diagnosis soon and will get back to you if someone else hasn't stepped forward.

Do you have a time frame in mind for the review? Starting a week from now I'll be traveling until mid-July and wouldn't start the repair until then at the earliest.

-jim

Porsche9 06-14-2014 01:40 PM

Can't believe nobody has taken them on the offer. I understand that this is a common problem requiring replacement of the whole drive mechanism. This will potentially be a huge money saver for anyone with the problem. Somebody out there has got to have a top that does not work due to bad gears.

opus69 06-14-2014 08:32 PM

Great that these are now available. When my top mechanism failed about a year ago I was afraid it was damaged gear and opened up the transmission. It was a frozen ball on the batwing. At the time a bad gear meant replacing the whole transmission.

Harvey Mushman 06-16-2014 11:55 AM

I have a 2001 S with confirmed broken plastic gears on both sides. Top currently is used manually so I'm willing to try these if available. I called Pelican and no one knew anything was ready.
Harvey

particlewave 06-16-2014 12:36 PM

Hmmm...I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but I'm under the impression that Pelican would like the review to be done by someone who's been a member for at least a little while, not someone who joined for the sole purpose of replying to the "free" ad.

No offense the new guys at all (welcome to the forum, by the way), but I'm sure they would like to have the gears reviewed by a reputable member. I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time.

I'm sure Mark can answer this better... I may be completely off-base :eek:

Jamesp 06-16-2014 02:50 PM

How many posts does it take to become reputable?:rolleyes: Can one become less reputable be with more posts? :confused:

particlewave 06-16-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 405887)
How many posts does it take to become reputable?:rolleyes: Can one become less reputable be with more posts? :confused:

I would say more than 1.

Or at least that 1 should be a decent how to article and review since this is what they're requesting.

Jamesp 06-16-2014 03:27 PM

Harvey,

Welcome to the forum! for my money, you are just as reputable as the rest of us rascals (that is, after your next post of course). If you do get the gears, let the rest of us know how they work out, and take pictures of the installation! Rules of the forum are, without pictures it didn't happen!, and apparently 2 posts to be reputable, though I'm sure if you PM'ed a potato to a certain member the whole 2 post thing could be overlooked. :p

particlewave 06-16-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesp (Post 405892)
Harvey,

Welcome to the forum! for my money, you are just as reputable as the rest of us rascals (that is, after your next post of course). If you do get the gears, let the rest of us know how they work out, and take pictures of the installation! Rules of the forum are, without pictures it didn't happen!, and apparently 2 posts to be reputable, though I'm sure if you PM'ed a potato to a certain member the whole 2 post thing could be overlooked. :p

Since you don't know...

Reputable means to have a reputation. You cannot have a reputation based on 1 post smart guy ;)
If someone is reputable to you based on one post, then you are either naïve or have no understanding of the meaning of the word. :p

Jamesp 06-16-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 405896)
Since you don't know...

Reputable means to have a reputation. You cannot have a reputation based on 1 post smart guy ;)
If someone is reputable to you based on one post, then you are either naïve or have no understanding of the meaning of the word. :p

Too easy

You defined reputable as more than one post, so in a reply, Bingo! Harvey is reputable. I have a reputation on this forum, but reputable? Likely depends on who you talk to.

But it really means trusted, honest, respectable. So on meeting someone, I trust them, I believe they are honest, and I show them respect. Their future actions determine how those things develop. I believe anyone posting on the forum deserves that as a starting point. Even with just one post. :D

Jamesp 06-16-2014 05:13 PM

Harvey, Sorry for hijacking your post. That happens a LOT around here. I hope you get gears and we get pictures!

Mark at Pelican Parts 06-19-2014 07:35 AM

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies! Sorry for the delay, we've been finishing-up our mobile version of the catalog which just recently launched. I'll reach out to one of you regarding the gears via pm and we can go from there.

Yes, the content from the install will be shared here with the community. No, you don't need a certain rep level to take part in this project.

Thanks guys!
Mark/Pelican Parts

tonichristi 09-17-2014 12:46 PM

Did these ever get reviewed, or were they given to one of the "freeloading one posters", who in turn never returned to do the review?

Where's your pal Harvey, Jamesp?

BoxsterFuse 09-21-2015 02:26 PM

busted plastic transmission gear

I have my driver side convertible transmission disassembled and a broken plastic gear is the culprit of my failed convertible top on a '05 Boxster.

If the offer stands, I will try out the free replacement parts and provide a review on the install and operation along with photos.

thanks,
DFhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1442874365.jpg

aczyzewski 09-21-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 405860)
Hmmm...I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but I'm under the impression that Pelican would like the review to be done by someone who's been a member for at least a little while, not someone who joined for the sole purpose of replying to the "free" ad.

No offense the new guys at all (welcome to the forum, by the way), but I'm sure they would like to have the gears reviewed by a reputable member. I'm just trying to save you from wasting your time.

I'm sure Mark can answer this better... I may be completely off-base :eek:

Seems a little forward to me.

particlewave 09-21-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aczyzewski (Post 467064)
Seems a little forward to me.

1) This post is more than a year old. You're a bit late to the party.

2) I was dead-on, 100%, absolutely correct as that poster never returned for the review (or even for another post...1 post). I call them like I see them and I called that one. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. What say you now? :)

FYI: generally, someone that joins and posts simply to get a free item isn't someone with much integrity. Common sense. ;)

BoxsterFuse 09-22-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 467065)
1) This post is more than a year old. You're a bit late to the party.

2) I was dead-on, 100%, absolutely correct as that poster never returned for the review (or even for another post...1 post). I call them like I see them and I called that one. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. What say you now? :)

FYI: generally, someone that joins and posts simply to get a free item isn't someone with much integrity. Common sense. ;)

1) seeing as noone has actually provided a review yet, which is what the company wanted...I don't think it matters that the post is a year old.

2) good for you

3) FYI: as a person with a real life, I don't join online car forums to make friends and/or build up my self-esteem as some expert on humanity. I join them when the need for reliable inside information can be gained/shared outside of what is provided by the company who makes the car and issues whatever validated information they deem fit. In this particular case, my offer to help me and countless future owners feel more confident about saving $1400 when the Boxster transmissions for a convertible top eventually fail, is such a case. Just because that's how a 987 owner might find his way to register and post on a 986 forum doesn't mean they lack integrity. And it's blowhards like you that ensure newbies like me keep valuable new information from surfacing.

:dance:

particlewave 09-22-2015 02:56 PM

1) Yes, it does matter to anyone with common sense that actually took the time to read the first post.

2) Yes, good for me. ;)

3) You're not worth my time. :)