986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Calling all 986 Geometry Experts!!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52722-calling-all-986-geometry-experts.html)

BTfd2e93 06-13-2014 04:11 AM

Calling all 986 Geometry Experts!!!!

Hey folks ...

so im in the middle of my suspension overhaul .. really looking forward to it once its done!

Got all my parts from Pelican .... etc etc.

After installing all the new parts .... trying to do the geometry and something is not right at the REAR!

Even at minimum .... the LEFT REAR toe-in is 4Degrees! (couldnt go any less)
RIGHT REAR is a more reasonable but still off 2Degrees.

On the Camber note:
really weird. ....on the RIGHT .....at Max setting RIGHT REAR camber is -2Degrees
while on the LEFT REAR .... to try match .... it required MIN setting to reach -2Degrees camber. So what happens is that everything looks way off... when the Camber were in-sync.

All the new parts were installed properly ... the car has not been in any accident. We even measured the chassis to see if it was bent .. but it was off by only 1mm... which means its in great shape!

Im totally at a loss why its like this! ...Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Ian c 06-13-2014 06:42 AM

Stock parts ?

BTfd2e93 06-13-2014 06:57 AM

yes .. or equivalent OEM ..... all from pelican.

The only thing that was not stock was the bilstein damper set ... that is for 986.

however, I do not believe the damper would have any effect on the toe-in anomaly.

any ideas?

Topless 06-13-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTfd2e93 (Post 405493)
yes .. or equivalent OEM ..... all from pelican.

The only thing that was not stock was the bilstein damper set ... that is for 986.

however, I do not believe the damper would have any effect on the toe-in anomaly.

any ideas?

Recheck your installation. Something is installed ass-backwards. Before and after pics would quickly reveal the problem.

Ian c 06-13-2014 10:17 AM

DEFINATELY recheck , but the only things I can think of would be top mounts , and tightening up whilst still in the air ....

Is the car sitting level ?

Highlander 06-13-2014 12:49 PM

Replacing with stock or stock equivalent? Have you dropped the car at all?

thstone 06-13-2014 04:04 PM

Please post up a list of all of your new suspension parts.

If you lowered the car, you may be exceeding the limits of the stock non-adjustable toe arm. The fix might require a set of aftermarket adj toe arms to get everything properly aligned.

Highlander 06-13-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 405581)

If you lowered the car, you may be exceeding the limits of the stock non-adjustable toe arm. The fix might require a set of aftermarket adj toe arms to get everything properly aligned.

Yup. Even with stock parts, I was having trouble getting a decent alignment with the stupid cams Porsche decided was a good idea for alignment.

BTfd2e93 06-13-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 405581)

1 986-331-043-07-M80 2 Control Arm Link Track Arm, Rear Suspension, Left and Right,

2 987-333-059-00-M100 2 Rear Shock Absorber Mount, 2 Per Car,

4 996-341-043-06-M80 2 Control Arm Link, Front/Rear Suspension - Front Lower, Left and Right
5 996-341-053-17-M80 2 Control Arm, Front/Rear Suspension - Lower, Left or Right

6 996-343-515-05-M100 2 Front Shock Absorber Mount, Lower Rubber Bushing, 2 Per Car,

7 997-331-045-04-M80 2 Control Arm Link, Rear Suspension - Rear Lower, Left and Right,

8 997-343-018-01-M69 2 Shock Mount Flange with Bonded Rubber Bushing and Studs,

9 999-053-041-04-M34 4 Wheel Bearing

2x bilstein dampers (dont have the part number with me at the moment)

BTfd2e93 06-13-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander (Post 405547)
Replacing with stock or stock equivalent? Have you dropped the car at all?

no drop .... i am re-using my original springs

BTfd2e93 06-14-2014 04:47 AM

update guys!

Complete! Man ..... im so happy .... i love this car all over again.

Gone are the clinking & clanking ..... steering is precise .... the rear is firm & planted .... even when I force it to oversteer - it quickly tries to recover itself.

I have nearly forgotten how good handling a car the boxster is !! ...... money well well spent :D

So what happened was .... after more diagonal measuring on different point on the car & suspension connection points .... finally found the cultprit. I found that the downward "U" thing (i dont know what its called) that mounts onto the bottom sides of the engine, which the lower control arms connect to .... was slightly out. It may have been due to a big pothole or something ..... cos it seems it may be susceptible to torsional displacements.

Everything is now ship shape ..... -1.5degree camber both sides & 0.5degree toe-in both sides.

soooo happy....

thstone 06-14-2014 05:38 AM

Congrats! Yes, a new suspension can make the entire car feel brand new. Glad it all worked out! :cheers:

woodsman 06-15-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTfd2e93 (Post 405618)
update guys!

Complete! Man ..... im so happy .... i love this car all over again.

Gone are the clinking & clanking ..... steering is precise .... the rear is firm & planted .... even when I force it to oversteer - it quickly tries to recover itself.

I have nearly forgotten how good handling a car the boxster is !! ...... money well well spent :D

So what happened was .... after more diagonal measuring on different point on the car & suspension connection points .... finally found the cultprit. I found that the downward "U" thing (i dont know what its called) that mounts onto the bottom sides of the engine, which the lower control arms connect to .... was slightly out. It may have been due to a big pothole or something ..... cos it seems it may be susceptible to torsional displacements.

Everything is now ship shape ..... -1.5degree camber both sides & 0.5degree toe-in both sides.

soooo happy....

So what did you do to the " u" shaped sub frame- replace it?