Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Amazingly I like driving to the drugstore

Or the grocery store in my 986 S. In anything else it's a chore. How about you?

Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

No joke, I'll break little errands up through the day so I can take it out a few times. I've suddenly found myself volunteering for all sorts of runs. "No onions? Well that won't do - be back in a bit Beautiful."
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
yea, but what used to be a 2 mile drive now is 30 mile round trip on back roads
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

ugh...i could have a veyron and it would still be a chore
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Haha! Yeah - I have some very... interesting routes to get to my common points.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

I used to go shooting every Saturday and take one weekday to fish. Now that things have gotten bigger for the business, I don't have that free time anymore, but still need to get to my shop. So it was park the truck at the shop and buy the 986. Now, no matter how busy the day was, I can choose to drive back to the shop and drive the 986 home and back to the shop next morning, even if it's a 15 minute drive. Sometimes I work 2 blocks from my house but still commute to the shop to drive the P car. If I have to be in early then truck comes home.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #7

Garage
Yep. 'Our' grocery store is literally 1/4 mile up our street. It's literally on our street two blocks up. I can walk there in under 10 minutes.

But it often takes 20+ minutes to get there in the Porsches...and the same back. :-) Crazy how that works.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Eh, grocery runs are too short (as in a 2 minute drive, tops) to take the Boxster out. And driving around town isn't all that fun when dealing with traffic.

But there are some longer routes to go other places which allow more fun (and for the car to get to temp). Those, enjoyable.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Eh, grocery runs are too short (as in a 2 minute drive, tops) to take the Boxster out. And driving around town isn't all that fun when dealing with traffic.
You need to take the side/back roads!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
ugh...i could have a veyron and it would still be a chore
Because than you'd have to sift trough a thousand by standees each time you get back to your parking spot.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Haha! Yeah - I have some very... interesting routes to get to my common points.
You should see my route to school and back haha.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #12

Chores are for me and the SUV. I dont like business parking lots. Me and the car get the non stop twisty trips regularly.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #13

I pick my grocery runs based on the time when the parking lot is empty.

The Whole Foods parking lot is always swamped. You have no choice but to park in between cars. So I don't shop there anymore although I miss the produce selection.

The Wal-Mart is strictly after midnight proposition, and I still park at the far, far end of the parking lot to provide an at least 8 empty spots cushion front, back, left and right. As that company is managed by morons who never open up enough registers I avoid it anyway. More time on line, more time for kooks to mess with your car out in the lot. Wal-Mart has by far the most infuriating lines in these parts. I've been to other Wal-Marts out of state, same issue. I have lost count of the times I left items behind just to skip a 20 minute wait on line.

Costco/BJ's/Sam's is also another far end of the parking lot situation. Which means a long hike but with those giant karts barelling down into your doors not parking on the highest point of the parking lot is a sin. Basically anywhere you see family wagons, you want to park far in the no man's land and even thinking about parking next to one of those cars is asking for a door ding.

Fast food places, same deal too many teen drivers and bad drivers rushing in a lunch break who just swing their doors open. Park far away.

Big shopping malls, I park on the top level of a parking deck. Lazy people never drive up that far. And look for the video cameras so that the sight lines pick up your car. If there is no parking deck, I park on the empty side of the lot at the farthest part. Where some guy parking next to the only other car in the vicinity (why?) will stick out to a passing driver. Especially if he's snooping around.

What I find interesting is that if you look at the cars that are always parked closest to the entrance of any store or mall, virtually every other car has door dings. People who really hate walking also open their doors carelessly.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-12-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

I park in the big handicapped spots....DISABLED VETERAN plate
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #15

Garage
I love going to the market in the Box...my 9 YO daughter is always my co-pilot and she will ask in the check out line, "Daddy, will all this fit in the Porsche? We might have to use both trunks". She loves the funny looks

I love that my daughter is as enamored with my car as I am....and she always schools her friends and other adults on the correct pronunciation....
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The Wal-Mart is strictly after midnight proposition, and I still park at the far, far end of the parking lot to provide an at least 8 empty spots cushion front, back, left and right. As that company is managed by morons who never open up enough registers I avoid it anyway. More time on line, more time for kooks to mess with your car out in the lot. Wal-Mart has by far the most infuriating lines in these parts. I've been to other Wal-Marts out of state, same issue. I have lost count of the times I left items behind just to skip a 20 minute wait on line.
I would be very wary of that, kids like to learn how to drift at the local walmarts after dark. One of the local stores has a hill for the parking lot, lazy individuals never take the time to put the carts in the cart racks where they then proceed to roll down the hill into cars.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
So I'm not the only one:
"We're out of milk, honey, I'll be back in an hour and a half."
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #18

Unfortunately,

about the only time I get to drive the Boxster is on short errands. I bought it for long road trips with the wife, but with her bad back, she won't ride in it any more.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I would be very wary of that, kids like to learn how to drift at the local walmarts after dark. One of the local stores has a hill for the parking lot, lazy individuals never take the time to put the carts in the cart racks where they then proceed to roll down the hill into cars.
You must have very few cops around in your parts.
If such a thing were to happen here something approaching a SWAT team would be there in a blink...
I don't know about other states, but Wal-Marts seem always to be very close to a major highway, where cops are everywhere looking for tickets to write or transients to follow once they exit the highway. And there's always the rent-a-cop in the Wal-Mart parkign lot sitting there usually doing nothing but waiting to hear a car alarm go off while he texts his girlfriend. Except in Florida. On my last visit someone car-jacked a shopper in broad daylight and I missed a shoot out at another one near Disney by a matter of minutes. Turns out it was a chase on the Turnpike that ended up in the parking lot with the guy fleeing into the Wal-Mart with a bullet wound to the leg. I guess security depends on the local police presence. Post 9/11 we have a lot of it at all times.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-13-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #20

I stopped all the short trips to the store and back because my motor never gets up to temp, and that time I bought ice cream, popped it in the trunk with the other bags, and took the extra long way home to enjoy a "twisty road" (flat curves here in Sauna City, really) the ice cream melted all over the place!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote