Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 AM   #1

key remote

I have an '01 base that I purchased from the second owner of the car(I won't go into how I researched for months and was going to be the most educated pre-owned Boxster purchaser and not do anything impulsive or stupid if the deal wasn't 100% perfect.......... and then I don't know what happened).

Anyway, PO didn't have the remote key(I got two, vallet and just one with a broken lighted head, supposedly a temp) but remote was supposedly not working and he had to find it. I never got it from him, he basically fell off the face of the Earth, I wrote it off as my problem.

I purchased a proper key head(thanks for the warnings Randall) from a dealer and plan on going to get it programmed one of these days. My question is, are all cars equipped to use a remote or can it actually be that the car never had one? The owners manual got me thinking about this. Is there a way to know this without a trip to the dealer?

chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #2

Hi,

If you have the Central Locking/ Remote Alarm Option (option Code M535), then the Key can be programmed to your Car. You can check the Option Codes on the Sticker on the underside of your Hood. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #3

I have never had a Box in my inventory that did NOT have the remote feature. Having said this, I somehow feel that this is an option on the Box.

A quick call to the parts/service dept will resolve it for you. You may need your VIN handy if indeed it is not standard equipment.

Let us know what you find out.

good luck on you Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #4

It is an option.. I don't have one on my Box...just a lighted key with no remote features...

doc
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #5

Service dept told me that pre-2000 not all cars have it, post, all do.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #6

chris,

i believe your questions are all boxster equipped with "remote" meaning keyless entry? my understanding is that keyless entry is available only on cars with the alarm option..my 2002 does not have an alarm or keyless entry, therefore no "remote." I have to manually open my door with a key, although there is central locking....i hope I understand and am answering your question.

doc
Old 03-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #7

Yes, that was my question. Now I'm wondering again, because the only options listed on my hood sticker are the emisions stuff and Litronics. The service dept was so quick to say "Yes, if it's a 2000 -later" . I wonder if it's something that just needs to be enabled if it wasn't delivered like that? But according to the owners manual it seems like it's possible to not have the keyless entry. Seems like a $40,000+ car (new) would have that, but then again, look how long it took to get cupholders. If anybody else has any info on this, it would be much appreciated, I'll have to check back with a dealer again.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #8

check under the drivers seat. Theres a small box w/ a code on it. Post the code or research the issue on renntech for the codes/option list. Mine says M531 which is only the central locking system. I can not get keyless programming w/ this system. If someone knows something that I do not know please post.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #9

yes nautiquelfe, i believe that to be the case. Chris, does you car have an alarm? If not, I don't believe you can get keyless entry programmed by the dealer. It is easy to get an aftermarket keyless entry system installed with or without an alarm....
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #10

Hi,

OK...Once again for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Kid...If you have the Central Locking/ Remote Alarm Option (option Code M535), then the Key can be programmed to your Car. You can check the Option Codes on the Sticker on the underside of your Hood. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #11

I'm not sure if I'm the "deaf, dumb, and blind kid",or if that's just a general statement to us newbies who get conflicting info, but yes, I checked that, no I don't have that option code listed(just the two I mentioned before) and now that I know about the box under the seat(mine has a M531 code=central locking/no alarm), I checked with two more service techs and they said yes, they can program a key to it as long as you have a proper key with a tag. So, one of these days when I get time I'll try to get it done and let you know if it worked and we'll all be the wiser. It's actually not even important to me, I just needed a new key head so I figured might as well have a remote if I could.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #12

Good luck on the process. Let us know how you made out.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #13

hey chris, but if what you say is correct-that means you can get keyless entry without having the alarm option, which i for one did not know...
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
I'm not sure if I'm the "deaf, dumb, and blind kid",or if that's just a general statement to us newbies who get conflicting info, but yes, I checked that, no I don't have that option code listed(just the two I mentioned before) and now that I know about the box under the seat(mine has a M531 code=central locking/no alarm), I checked with two more service techs and they said yes, they can program a key to it as long as you have a proper key with a tag. So, one of these days when I get time I'll try to get it done and let you know if it worked and we'll all be the wiser. It's actually not even important to me, I just needed a new key head so I figured might as well have a remote if I could.

Jim has a lot of bravado and ego, best to get used to it, you will see plenty more where that came from.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #15

Please be sure to keep us informed about your key programming. I was under the impression that cars w/ the M531 could not be programmed to have factory keyless entry. I for one would be interested in knowing for sure from someone that's had it tried by a dealer. I'm in need of a trip to the dealer myself soon to have OBC turned on and an airbag light checked into.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 AM   #16

yes, do keep us informed. I was under the same impression as nautiquelfe....
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #17

[QUOTE=MNBoxster]Hi,

OK...Once again for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Kid...

I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to pick up on some WHO reference, because I'm really not very good at pinball.

Anyway, I'll post back when I attempt to get it done, might be a couple weeks though as I still haven't completed my wheel refinishing project.