986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   75K Service Estimate (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52578-75k-service-estimate.html)

dbansal 06-06-2014 10:12 AM

75K Service Estimate

Hey Guys,

My car is coming up on 75K and I'm doing the first service. I called ROCS auto in belleville, nj and they gave me this price:

$1,300...

Check everything..etc..
Oil Change
Oil Filter Change
Air Filter Change
Fuel Filter Change
Cabin Filter Change
Spark Plug Change
Coolant Flush
Brake bleed...front and rear.
Automatic Transmission Flush and fluids change

dbansal 06-06-2014 10:13 AM

Reasonable not reasonable?? labor rate of $95/hr

Timco 06-06-2014 10:26 AM

All things I would do myself, but sounds reasonable. That's a lot of time and items if all done properly.

dbansal 06-06-2014 10:47 AM

thanks for opining :)

mountainman 06-06-2014 10:58 AM

Around $400 worth of parts if you shop wisely. That leaves $900 in labor. You can do it yourself if you are handy in a day. $900 is pretty good pay or savings for a days work where I come from. Kind of depends on whether you have more time or money. And bear in mind you don"t have to do it all at once.

dbansal 06-06-2014 11:10 AM

the only thing i would be able to handle myself are the air filters... i could do oil but it gets way too messy and disposing 9 quarts of oil will be a hassle...

steved0x 06-06-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 404376)
Around $400 worth of parts if you shop wisely. That leaves $900 in labor. You can do it yourself if you are handy in a day. $900 is pretty good pay or savings for a days work where I come from. Kind of depends on whether you have more time or money. And bear in mind you don"t have to do it all at once.

Agreed, I have done all of that on my car with the exception of AT flush and coolant flush (I did do a transaxle oil change though, and the AT car needs that oil changed as well) but I understand it is a lot tougher to get to in an AT car. And I have flushed coolant on a Tacoma and a Miata.

You could take that $900 and buy:
3 ton low profile jack from Harbor freight for $75
2 pairs of 3 ton jack stands for $50
15 quart oil pan $15. Any auto parts store will have a big drum you can pour the old oil in for recycling.
Motive European Black Label Bleeder $70
If you are missing specific tools like an 11mm metric wrench for brake bleeding
Spark plug socket $15 GearWrench 80546 5/8-Inch x 6-Inch Swivel Spark Plug Socket - Socket Set With Spark Plug Socket - Amazon.com
Airlift for coolant flushing $120 Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive
HF Compressor for airlift tool: $125-$150
101 Projects book: $25
Bentley manual $75

I am probably missing a few things but you could get set up pretty well for that $900 and do most of that yourself. The AT fluid exchange would be the only one I would be leery about but only because I have never done that. There are guides in both the 101 Projects book and the Bentley.

And you can certainly space it all out over time. Unless there is a critical issue (and most of your list seems non critical, just do the oil change first if it is due. Do the air filters and learn how to get into the engine compartment. If it is past due then do the spark plugs, and if you have any seepage, do the tubes and O-rings while you are in there. Etc. It can be fun :)

But if you want to have a shop do all of that work $900 seems fair to me as well. That is a decent amount of labor to do all that stuff.

Good luck!

Steve

steved0x 06-06-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbansal (Post 404379)
the only thing i would be able to handle myself are the air filters... i could do oil but it gets way too messy and disposing 9 quarts of oil will be a hassle...

I never worked on a car in my life but once I got the boxster I decided to learn to do the work myself, at least as much as I could. And I also got to cut my teeth on my son's Miata.

You can for sure burn up a Saturday out there messing with it though, but it is kind of satisfying too :) You can do it! :)

dbansal 06-06-2014 11:38 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone... im mulling my options now!

thstone 06-06-2014 11:39 AM

$1,300 is reasonable for a dealer. Indy should be under $1,000. DIY $500.

Your money, your time, your choice.

The only thing that I will ask is that I thought that the major service intervals were 30K/60K/90K miles. I would have expected 75K miles to be a minor service (basically oil and filters but not spark plugs, coolant, and brake fluid). But maybe my memory is out of date.

dbansal 06-06-2014 11:43 AM

the at flush, coolant, and brake fluids are things that i want... I bought the car at 68k miles and am not sure if 60k was done or not...

thstone 06-06-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbansal (Post 404386)
the at flush, coolant, and brake fluids are things that i want... I bought the car at 68k miles and am not sure if 60k was done or not...

Ahh! Yes, now it all makes sense! Good thinking in doing the backdated service. :cheers:

dbansal 06-06-2014 11:57 AM

these guys wanted almost 2x as much:

I found a cool one today.

originally posted in local mechanic thread by bavarianmotorist..
PowerTech

POWERTECH • 311 West Main Street • Rockaway, NJ 07866 • Phone: 973.586.3210 • Fax: 973.586.6891

They ONLY do Porsches.

trimer 06-06-2014 12:52 PM

When I changed my plugs and coil packs, oil and filter I started the morning with a beer belly and by the end of the day, after moving and contorting, getting up and down etc, I had lost 30 lbs and gained a wonderful wash board stomach. Amazing what these cars can do to us. I enjoyed doing it once, but would not do it again...specifically plugs and coil packs.

steved0x 06-06-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 404403)
I enjoyed doing it once, but would not do it again...

That is fact. On my son's old Miata we did a clutch slave cylinder, replaced the clutch hydraulic line with an upgraded braided one, updated headlights, changed all fluids, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, etc... When it was totaled and we got another the enthusiasm wasn't there to do all those same things again.... That stuff may eventually will get done but we will wait until the old part breaks first...

patssle 06-06-2014 01:17 PM

6 years ago I was a computer geek that had never touched a car aside from changing a tire. Now I have a 2 post car lift in my garage and am building a 914-6.

If I can do it anybody can. The filter changes are as easy as it gets - if you can follow directions on how-to articles on Pedro's Garage or Pelican Parts!

mountainman 06-06-2014 01:53 PM

I rack up about 50K Porsche miles a year between the three we have. no way I could do that if I didn't do my own maintenance. The cost of a years worth of dealer oil changes alone .almost paid for my 4 post lift. Aside from that, the more you work on your car, the more you learn about it, which is never a bad thing.

marano 06-06-2014 02:03 PM

Try Caste System Performace in Norwood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbansal (Post 404394)
these guys wanted almost 2x as much:

I found a cool one today.

originally posted in local mechanic thread by bavarianmotorist..
PowerTech

POWERTECH • 311 West Main Street • Rockaway, NJ 07866 • Phone: 973.586.3210 • Fax: 973.586.6891

They ONLY do Porsches.

dbansal 06-06-2014 02:07 PM

So I called a second shop...nice guys at provost in bordentown nj. He told me that there's no need to to auto trans flush nor the coolant as they are lifetime fluids and that there are no fuel filters on 03 models. He told me both the 996 and 986 stopped with the fuel filters after 01' so that only leaves the air and cabin filters which I could probably do, oil which I could probably do. Spark plugs and brake bleed I won't do immediately or may take it to the first shop I spoke with

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

dghii 06-06-2014 07:47 PM

Correct about the fuel filter. I know that the coolant is suppose to be 'Lifetime' but what does that really mean? I'd change the fluids.