986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Retired military (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52555-retired-military.html)

1rooster 06-04-2014 05:45 PM

Retired military

First I would like to thank all the veterans here for your service to our great country. I spent 23 years in the Army.I was an Electronics Technician in the Pershing Missile System(Nuclear).Four tours in Germany for a total of sixteen years.When the United States and the Soviet Union signed the INF treaty( Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces) it was my beloved Pershings that was to be eliminated under the treaty.I was lucky and got assigned to OSIA (On Site Inspection Agency).I made several trips into the Soviet Union inspecting their missile locations and observing their missile eliminations for compliance of the INF treaty.Sorry I got a little long winded but I am VERY proud of my military career.:dance:

mountainman 06-05-2014 04:04 AM

Thanks for your service. I am right up the mountain from you in little switzerland. 2 tours in Vietnam and 30 years in law enforcement under my belt. Worked my way thru 8 years in college as a prison guard. Did all the dirty jobs so we could retire to the mountains and drink 15 year old port in the hot tub on the side of the mountain ( and have a garage full of Porsches of course ). Give me a call sometime and we will do a drive and lunch. bob 828 385 3100http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1401969859.jpg

mump 06-05-2014 05:04 AM

50 days left until I retire and go back home to PA...

It was fun but it is time to come home.

Timco 06-05-2014 05:06 AM

Thank you to all service men and women on here who have served our country.

mountainman 06-05-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mump (Post 404137)
50 days left until I retire and go back home to PA...

It was fun but it is time to come home.

Hopefully bringing a little something back that has no substitute.

BYprodriver 06-05-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 404144)
Hopefully bringing a little something back that has no substitute.

That's what my dad did, I was born on Ramstein AFB hospital. I was just USMC reserve. My dad was the guy that spotted a missle site being built in Cuba 1962.

Perfectlap 06-05-2014 08:43 AM

Kind of off topic but I was tutoring a Cuban refugee recently on basic some computer skills. His wife helps to take care of an elderly relative. While we were setting up his password for cloud services one of the password questions was "when was the first time you flew on a plane". He told me Angola. Turns he was a member of the special forces in Cuba (the Black Wasps). Over 300 jumps including 'suicide jumps' which are like barely a thousand feet. I went onto Wikipedia and saw that Cuba basically drafted everyone who could pull a trigger to send to Africa apparently in hopes of getting at all of the Soviet military equipment. Crazy stories of midnight battles, infantry killed by snakes. Very heavy casualties for some master plan of the beard's. He now works a menial job 16 hours a day while he learns English from language CDs I loaded to an Ipod for him, no military pension, no healthcare but he has his freedom.

mountainman 06-05-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 404176)
Kind of off topic but I was tutoring a Cuban refugee recently on basic some computer skills. His wife helps to take care of an elderly relative. While we were setting up his password for cloud services one of the password questions was "when was the first time you flew on a plane". He told me Angola. Turns he was a member of the special forces in Cuba (the Black Wasps). Over 300 jumps including 'suicide jumps' which are like barely a thousand feet. I went onto Wikipedia and saw that Cuba basically drafted everyone who could pull a trigger to send to Africa apparently in hopes of getting at all of the Soviet military equipment. Crazy stories of midnight battles, infantry killed by snakes. Very heavy casualties for some master plan of the beard's. He now works a menial job 16 hours a day while he learns English from language CDs I loaded to an Ipod for him, no military pension, no healthcare but he has his freedom.

Thumbs up for helping him to better his situation.

jsceash 06-05-2014 11:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. Please don't take this the wrong way. What brings you to the forum shopping, owner, general info, pictures are a prerequisite.