986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The only thing that annoys me with 986... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52512-only-thing-annoys-me-986-a.html)

tomc88 06-02-2014 01:01 PM

The only thing that annoys me with 986...

when the roof is wet (common here in the UK)

I open the door to get in and the slightest vibration sends large beads of water dripping off the roof onto me as there is no 'gutter' running down the side of the roof.

JayG 06-02-2014 01:10 PM

that is a feature ;)

Don't have that problem here in sunny San Diego

patssle 06-02-2014 02:02 PM

And if your window is open and you run the wipers - it pushes it to the side then falls into the car through the open window regardless if you're at a stop or at speed.

Carlisabadman986 06-02-2014 04:59 PM

I have often had the same thought, my windows are almost always down if the top is up. Water pours right in.

986_c6 06-02-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 403599)
that is a feature ;)

Don't have that problem here in sunny San Diego

Lol! It is even sunnier here in Sacramento!:cheers:

JayG 06-02-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_c6 (Post 403647)
Lol! It is even sunnier here in Sacramento!:cheers:

Yea, but it gets stupidly hot in Sacto too

san rensho 06-02-2014 09:02 PM

Oh, buck up. Have you ever seen the Wizard of Oz? Are you the wicked witch of the west? Will you melt if you get wet? You Brits have anything better than the Hun? I don't think so.

Let me see, you Brits have the best food in the world, well maybe not. Brit food is boiled , starchy, dreary fare. The fish and chips are good, probably the only palatable food other then the great Indian, French and Thai food. Oh, but those would be foreign foods.

So, lets explore Queen Elizabeths's (is that the name of your current Royal accident of sperm that claims supreme power because of pedigree?) cars. Well, the Jaguar E type is, without a doubt, one of the most sublime autos ever made. More pretty than the Italian cars of the era, as fast or faster than the Hun (read Porsche) cars.

But that was decades ago. After the Jaguar, you had the wonderful Triumph and MG. Purchasers of these new cars would go back to the dealer and complain that the car was leaking a pint of oil a week. The dealer would tell them " Oh yes, the car definitley has a problem, it should be leaking at least a QUART of oil a week" And of course, Brit cars had the wonderful Lucas electronics. Lucas, the prince of darkness. Why wasn't there a notice on the dash that read, WARNING, use lights only during daylight hours?

So yes, the sun never set on the Empire, but that was decades ago. Times are different now. The Hun makes a great car, so unless the Brits have something better than the Porsche, don't blame Germans for for the Empire's crappy weather.

Steve Tinker 06-02-2014 10:37 PM

Phew......
Spoken like a true Anglophile San !!

tomc88 06-02-2014 11:13 PM

Almost a racist rant! Let's congratulate the 'Huns'
for the IMSB too.
God bless America!

howe 06-03-2014 01:24 AM

The thing that impressed me when I first looked at a Boxster was the well engineered plastic extrusion that the top of the window entered into.Have a look at any other convertible, have a look at the pathetic detailing in this area.

ekam 06-03-2014 04:35 AM

I thought in the UK people drive in the rain with the top down all the time?

san rensho 06-03-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc88 (Post 403678)
Almost a racist rant! Let's congratulate the 'Huns'
for the IMSB too.
God bless America!

It's all in jest, Tom. Just poking a little fun. I guess my sense of humor is a little sharp. I actually admire the th UK. The English are really wonderful,people that have extended great courtesies to me when I have visited.

Fintro11 06-03-2014 07:57 AM

If you are going 120 km/h you don't get wet with the top down until it starts to build up and run down the side windows haha. There have been a few spot showers where I have said **************** it and just drove through. Red lights can be a problem though.....

tomc88 06-03-2014 08:35 AM

the world is awesome, just went to sign lease on a new office, and the Landlord also has a 986 S - so now we are best buddies!

Carlisabadman986 06-03-2014 05:05 PM

As long as we are on the short list of things we don't like about our cars, the distance on the remote entry is lousy. My wifes 4 runner will unlock from 30 yards. Such a minor thing but a small inconvenience.

Ashmyster79 06-04-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 403703)
It's all in jest, Tom. Just poking a little fun. I guess my sense of humor is a little sharp. I actually admire the th UK. The English are really wonderful,people that have extended great courtesies to me when I have visited.

Haha I preferred the first version and I am British. We moan about everything. Starts with the weather, then with the car on the way to work, we look for fault and are happy when we find them.. We moan at work and the hours we do, then we moan on the way home as it's late and not seen the kids then we get served up boiled food by the wife so we moan at her

We then go to have a shower and the boiler has stopped working so a cold one at best then in to bed for Groundhog Day tomorrow.

Oh look it's raining out. Better not get in the car I will get wet :)

BFeller 06-04-2014 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 (Post 403806)
As long as we are on the short list of things we don't like about our cars, the distance on the remote entry is lousy. My wifes 4 runner will unlock from 30 yards. Such a minor thing but a small inconvenience.

There is a technical bulletin that describes how to change the antennea in the drivers A arm pillar. It might be applicable to your car.

recycledsixtie 06-04-2014 04:33 AM

This thread is amusing. It tells us a lot about not only the Boxster but about the owners.
Speaking of the weather getting in I used to have a Morris 8 Tourer in the UK in 1965.
The car was built in 1935. When it snowed the snow used to enter the gap in the sidescreens and snow used to blow around the car on the inside.

Perhaps if you have not known adversity then water dripping on you is a start.
The Boxster has its own set of problems. Latest is windshield washer fluid ends up on the ground when filling. Cam deviation sensor code light(sensor is on order).Water pump is on order even though the old one is still working.

Sometimes I think that I should just get something new. Not a Porsche. Not willing to put out that kind of money.

There is a lot to be said about the UK that is good. Great people(of course like here some better than others). Great pubs. Food overall at restaurants has improved.Weather is awful. Great scenery when it is not raining.

Thanks for listening. You are a great audience. My wife not so much when the Boxster has issues...Cheers, Guy
PS . San Renchko you have redeemed yourself with your second post....

Ashmyster79 06-04-2014 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recycledsixtie (Post 403901)
This thread is amusing. It tells us a lot about not only the Boxster but about the owners.
Speaking of the weather getting in I used to have a Morris 8 Tourer in the UK in 1965.
The car was built in 1935. When it snowed the snow used to enter the gap in the sidescreens and snow used to blow around the car on the inside.

Perhaps if you have not known adversity then water dripping on you is a start.
The Boxster has its own set of problems. Latest is windshield washer fluid ends up on the ground when filling. Cam deviation sensor code light(sensor is on order).Water pump is on order even though the old one is still working.

Sometimes I think that I should just get something new. Not a Porsche. Not willing to put out that kind of money.

There is a lot to be said about the UK that is good. Great people(of course like here some better than others). Great pubs. Food overall at restaurants has improved.Weather is awful. Great scenery when it is not raining.

Thanks for listening. You are a great audience. My wife not so much when the Boxster has issues...Cheers, Guy
PS . San Renchko you have redeemed yourself with your second post....

Ahhh I feel proud to be British. Just when I thought we were in for a bashing you guys have redeemed yourselves :)

It's not that grey though.......is it?http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1401885844.jpg

Miata2Boxster 06-04-2014 04:55 AM

A plastic rear window in a pre 2003 $50K car annoys me. The newer top on my 2001 has a glass one thankfully, but what was Porsche thinking?