986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spoiler Won't Operate at Speed (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52492-spoiler-wont-operate-speed.html)

mgfranz 06-01-2014 11:20 AM

Spoiler Won't Operate at Speed

Noticed this the other day after a high speed run, while I couldn't actually visually see if the spoiler was up, (I am not going to try to stand up and look at the back of my car at 100mph), I did not have a dash light indicating that the spoiler was up. When I got home I manually raised the spoiler and it functioned fine, light on dash came on as designed.

So, what would prevent the spoiler from operating while driving?

Shehadehd 06-01-2014 11:37 AM

are you taking about the instrument cluster light? AFAIK, that light should only come on when there is a malfunction preventing the spoiler from raising.

mgfranz 06-01-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shehadehd (Post 403309)
are you taking about the instrument cluster light? AFAIK, that light should only come on when there is a malfunction preventing the spoiler from raising.

Really? I guess I misunderstood the manual then, I thought the light came on when it was fully extended? Let me check manually again.

Ok, your are right, no light with manual operation. Guess it's time for another quick trip, I will have someone do a visual.

particlewave 06-01-2014 12:06 PM

Find an east/west road, drive east and watch your shadow ;)

Or, if the sun is too high in the sky, wait until closer to sunset and do it heading south or south east.

mgfranz 06-01-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 403318)
Find an east/west road, drive east and watch your shadow ;)

Or pass a semi with a reflective rig... Though I am usually a bit preoccupied when doing 80+ :)

Shehadehd 06-01-2014 12:21 PM

The way I checked it was by putting a thin piece of tape between the spoiler and trunk. Go out for a drive and when you come back, check if the tape has broken. painter's tape works fine.

particlewave 06-01-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 403319)
Or pass a semi with a reflective rig... Though I am usually a bit preoccupied when doing 80+ :)

I typically take a glance or two at what's going on around me, lol :D

I see the spoiler up in the cars shadow all the time, which is why I suggested it ;)

fullthrottle52 06-01-2014 01:04 PM

Hold your cell phone up and take a picture. Just hand on to it tight. ;)

mgfranz 06-02-2014 09:33 AM

It works, passed a shiny black X5 at speed and it was up. Phew...