Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Garage
I'm ready to order a new top with glass rear window

Can someone tell me if there is a major difference between these 2 and is it worth the extra money? Thank you!

99' 986 Porsche Boxster - Glacier White/Black interior, 19" ALT Miro Type 371 Wheels, ROW M030 Kit, RSS 7mm Wheel spacers, Smoked Depot Brake lights, Smoked 3rd Brake light, Bosch Smoked side markers/headlight corners, Desnorkeled, Modified Air Filter, Carbon Fiber door sills, Plasti-dipped side mirrors/air ducts, debadged rear, black hood crest, Keyhole delete, Much more to come, stay tuned...
Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

Garage
I would check with your local installer, the fabric is essentially the same but there may be differences in the installation.
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Ebay has a cheaper option, its only $439 shipped and has the heated hookup Porsche Boxster Convertible Top 97 02 in Black Stayfast Cloth with Glass Window | eBay
polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

A5 is the OEM German made material. Twillfast is a lower cost but still high quality alternative.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
Ebay has a cheaper option, its only $439 shipped and has the heated hookup Porsche Boxster Convertible Top 97 02 in Black Stayfast Cloth with Glass Window | eBay
Thank you! You just saved me allot of money :dance: gonna pull the trigger on this one!
99' 986 Porsche Boxster - Glacier White/Black interior, 19" ALT Miro Type 371 Wheels, ROW M030 Kit, RSS 7mm Wheel spacers, Smoked Depot Brake lights, Smoked 3rd Brake light, Bosch Smoked side markers/headlight corners, Desnorkeled, Modified Air Filter, Carbon Fiber door sills, Plasti-dipped side mirrors/air ducts, debadged rear, black hood crest, Keyhole delete, Much more to come, stay tuned...
Old 05-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdandc View Post
I would check with your local installer, the fabric is essentially the same but there may be differences in the installation.
I completely disagree with this.

I put the GHAA top on my S. It had a glass window and their acoustic fabric. It made the car as quiet with the top up as the Hard top. Worth every penny. Fabric matters!

The acoustic material was far superior than OEM.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 05-30-2014 at 02:57 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

Garage
Can anyone recommend an installer in the L.A. area?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
I completely disagree with this.

I put the GHAA top on my S. It had a glass window and their acoustic fabric. It made the car as quiet with the top up as the Hard top. Worth every penny. Fabric matters!

The acoustic material was far superior than OEM.
/
What is the GHAA top?

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tt0n View Post
what is the ghaa top?
gahh

/
Old 06-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
This top has a heated glass rear window, what if you don't have the heated mirrors? I wonder if you can get this top with a plain glass window.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #11

All boxsters a have a plug behind the drivers left ear to plug in a rear window defroster.

If you don't want to use it, don't plug it in.

/
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
All boxsters a have a plug behind the drivers left ear to plug in a rear window defroster.

If you don't want to use it, don't plug it in.

/
Good to know!

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote