986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Raising the seat (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52417-raising-seat.html)

JayG 05-28-2014 05:56 PM

Raising the seat

Ok, here is a good one!

I have been looking on places to put a subwoofer and saw that there is a reasonably large space under the right seat. It has about 2.375" of height under the seat adjustment bar. The smallest powered sub I can find is needs 2.75" and a bunch more around 3". The lengh and width seems to be OK , just not enough height to get it under.

I don't want a foot-well enclosure as it takes away a lot of foot space. I have the basic sound system, no door speakers and would prefer not to cut holes in the doors to put speakers in, besides getting the wire to them would be a PITA

I was talking with my indy P-car guy who goes back a long way in P-cars. He said Porsche sells a kit to raise the regular seats. I have looked on the parts catalog and don't see anything. I haven't had a chance to go visit the local dealer and check with the parts guy.

Has anyone heard of such a kit? I was thinking maybe raise it up on some sort of spacer and use longer high strength bolts. I'm only looking at .5 to 1.0 inch higher. Might be able to get away with just raising the front.

Any thoughts?

Timco 05-28-2014 07:57 PM

Ever seen the sub box that came with the special editions? It sits on the shelf behind me and has tweets and a sub opening. Very deep sound, good punch. It's Bose made for the Boxster.

JayG 05-28-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 402618)
Ever seen the sub box that came with the special editions? It sits on the shelf behind me and has tweets and a sub opening. Very deep sound, good punch. It's Bose made for the Boxster.

yes, the Bose sub, but I would like to keep the storage box in the center. They is little enough storage as it sits

Tucker2 05-28-2014 09:36 PM

Some washers?

JayG 05-28-2014 09:46 PM

I was thinking of that, kind of winky wanky though.
I was hoping for some kind of solid spacer or something

CoBeerToad 05-29-2014 06:12 AM

Where do I find this box that fits on the shelf? I have seen some DIY build boxes, but I lack the skills for that. I seen one once a couple years ago, but I lost the website, and further searches ended with nothing.

SpikeJr 05-30-2014 01:20 PM

Interesting idea to raise the seat - perhaps a solid spacer with the longer bolts. I would like to use that space too.

However, my concern would be safety in an accident - the shear load on the longer bolts now has a new tension aspect. I just wonder if the ability of the floor pan thread can handle a higher tension load, which combined with shear increases the concentric force?

Perhaps some of the engineers out there can comment - maybe I'm getting my definitions mixed up and I'm not using correct terms... :) But my initial thoughts are that raising a seat up weakens the structure...

JayG 05-30-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikeJr (Post 402947)
Interesting idea to raise the seat - perhaps a solid spacer with the longer bolts. I would like to use that space too.

However, my concern would be safety in an accident - the shear load on the longer bolts now has a new tension aspect. I just wonder if the ability of the floor pan thread can handle a higher tension load, which combined with shear increases the concentric force?

Perhaps some of the engineers out there can comment - maybe I'm getting my definitions mixed up and I'm not using correct terms... :) But my initial thoughts are that raising a seat up weakens the structure...

those are my concerns as well. That's a big reason I was looking for a factory kit. I'm not an engineer, but do understand some of the forces involved ( had some college classes in Statics and Dynamics a long time ago). It might be a very negligible difference. I wounder if the floor tracks for racing seats are mounted flush, or do they have spacers

If I go with my own spacers, it would most likely be just 1/2 in and I would use grade 8 bolts and probably just the front

The Radium King 06-06-2014 03:26 PM

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/parts-marketplace/818501-20mm-seat-risers-black-alloy.html

JayG 06-06-2014 04:24 PM

thanks,

Just checked and they are sold

Im nit sure if they would have fit as they were for a 993 and I think the seat rails are different