Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Garage
Bad brake booster??

Hi all! I'm new to the forum (and to Porsche ownership )... I purchased a 1999 Boxster (85k miles), great condition. I've been driving it for a few thousand miles now and recently noticed my brake pedal feels off. When I press the brakes, the pedal doesn't come back up as fast as it should. In fact, sometimes it feels like it's still depressed and I have to stick my foot underneath to raise it back.

My mechanic said he thinks it's the brake booster. Does this sound right? Would I be noticing something different if it was the master cylinder vs. the brake booster?

I'd hate to dump money to find out that wasn't the right fix! Thanks so much!!

bbclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbclare View Post
Hi all! I'm new to the forum (and to Porsche ownership )... I purchased a 1999 Boxster (85k miles), great condition. I've been driving it for a few thousand miles now and recently noticed my brake pedal feels off. When I press the brakes, the pedal doesn't come back up as fast as it should. In fact, sometimes it feels like it's still depressed and I have to stick my foot underneath to raise it back.

My mechanic said he thinks it's the brake booster. Does this sound right? Would I be noticing something different if it was the master cylinder vs. the brake booster?

I'd hate to dump money to find out that wasn't the right fix! Thanks so much!!
Yep, brake booster. Check your drains under the front cowl below the windsheild. Mine were plugged and water went into the brake booster over time causing the sticky pedal.

Google boxster water in brake booster and you'll get more info. I think porsche even had an update to the parts

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28524-sticking-brake-pedal-1997-boxster.html
rdc8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks rdc8118!! I'll definitely check for water leakage. Appreciate the advice!!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

+1 for drains. A couple other things to consider....

Is your car running great? A rough idle would point to a vacuum leak (to your booster hose).
check your brake fluid level. A loss of fluid, with a corresponding leak would indicate a MC leaking back into the booster.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
+1 for drains. A couple other things to consider....

Is your car running great? A rough idle would point to a vacuum leak (to your booster hose).
check your brake fluid level. A loss of fluid, with a corresponding leak would indicate a MC leaking back into the booster.
No, it is not running great. No rough idle, but the acceleration feels sluggish.

I will check the fluid levels. Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

Garage
I had this problem fixed a week ago. There WAS water where the booster was! They cleaned out the drains for me and replaced the booster. Everything is running GREAT now!! Thanks for the advice