Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Used Boxster Buying Advice - 1999 Base vs. 2001 S

Hi All-

Looking for a little guidance - am about to purchase a used Boxster and need help in deciding between two models.

The first is a 1999 Boxster base - 34k miles, regular maintenance (not sure if 30k was done). This is the cheaper option

The second is 2001 Boxster S - 39k miles, regular service and receipts for work competed at a Porsche dealer for new alternator, RMS seal replaced, IMS seal checked, 30k service, and other misc. items. This is the pricier option.

Both have recent tires and brakes and wouldn't need anything like that.

Any thoughts on if the maintenance issues of the S should scare me away or make it a more attractive buy? Or would it essentially even out because i'd have to spend some $$ on the 1999 for 30k service anyway?

Since the RMS was done on the S am i good for a while on that, or could that go at any time?

Also, since they are such low mileage, should i be concerned with the IMS and just budget to have the L&N replacement IMS bearing put in?

I know, a few questions, but would appreciate any wisdom as this is my first Porsche purchase and i don't want to sink crazy money into maintenance right off the bat.

Last edited by tvlaan; 05-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.
tvlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Garage
Not knowing the price differential I still would lean towards the S
But I'm bias and enjoy the extra power
I think maintenance costs are pretty much the same except maybe clutch
The 99 maybe dual row IMSB and that could be a plus
Still me personally the S but driving both will certainty help
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Looking at roughly a $4k difference....Is that justifiable to step up to the S and also to have some maintenance completed? Its worth it to me if i would have to put that into the 1999 anyway (but if i don't...)

Seeing as this is a weekend, joyride car and i don't necessarily need the extra power, would i be better off just enjoying the base and saving the $4k for maintenance / replacing the IMS (it has the dual row, so do i even need to replace?)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

I'm not a fan of the 99's due to the cylinder liner and cylinder head issues.

I'd go up the 2 years and to the S -- typically higher end accessories, better brakes, better suspension, better top, a lot more power.

mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Get the S.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Get the S.
+1 You'll regret it later if you don't.

I do. Mine's just for fun too, but it's no fun if you can't keep up with the Accords and Camrys.

Plus better resale value too.

JMHO
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
Go S!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

OK - so get the S. That is easy.

Now for the hard part:

"IMS seal checked". Huh? The IMS is a bearing that needs to be replaced, preferably with an aftermarket part.

RMS seal replaced. OK good. Then you say "Since the RMS was done on the S am i good for a while on that, or could that go at any time"? The RMS is the rear main seal between the engine and transmission. In some cars, it develops a gentle weep and causes you to lose oil very very sloooowly. My RMS leaked the entire time I owned the car. A new RMS is nice, but guess what, when you go do your clutch (or IMS) you will need to do it again anyway...

/
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
OK - so get the S. That is easy.

Now for the hard part:

"IMS seal checked". Huh? The IMS is a bearing that needs to be replaced, preferably with an aftermarket part.

RMS seal replaced. OK good. Then you say "Since the RMS was done on the S am i good for a while on that, or could that go at any time"? The RMS is the rear main seal between the engine and transmission. In some cars, it develops a gentle weep and causes you to lose oil very very sloooowly. My RMS leaked the entire time I owned the car. A new RMS is nice, but guess what, when you go do your clutch (or IMS) you will need to do it again anyway...

/
IMS seal checked means they glanced at it while installing the RMS and it wasn't leaking. You don't need to replace the RMS when replacing the clutch. The RMS seals the crankshaft, but since your in there anyway it's a good thing to do.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Thanks all -

Here is the S i am considering:

If you look at the picture of the maintenance receipt you see the alternator at top, and then the RMS seal replacement and the resealing of the IMS bearing flange.

Language says "approved replaced leaking rear main and intermediate shaft seals" "...replaced leaking RMS and resealed intermediate shaft bearing flange"

Seeing as this was done less than a year ago - safe to assume i'd be OK in those areas?

Last edited by tvlaan; 05-27-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #11

Garage
I would go with the S and i would assume you are fine with the ims.... however, the price will be high on such low mileage cars, why not get a car around 60 to 80k and put the saved money into upgrades.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I would go with the S and i would assume you are fine with the ims.... however, the price will be high on such low mileage cars, why not get a car around 60 to 80k and put the saved money into upgrades.
I can't find any in the chicagoland area that are much cheaper than these low mileage ones.

I'd prefer something with 50k+ miles, but i can' find any.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post
I can't find any in the chicagoland area that are much cheaper than these low mileage ones.

I'd prefer something with 50k+ miles, but i can' find any.
If looking into out of state cars is an option for you, I've got a great vehicle transport company for ya. I'm also in chicago too and had my boxster transported from Florida for $900. Picked up and shipped and delivered to me in 5 days. I wanted a solid car that was preferrably never driven on snow(we all know how bad the salt can damage cars from the inside out) so looking out of state was my first option. Finding a clean, reasonably priced 986 in the chicagoland area is pretty hard too unless you play the waiting game and who knows how long that is.

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 05-27-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

If you haven't already done so, go drive them both. It may help you decide what's important with regard to the driving experience.
I've owned a base and an S..at the same time. Both are great cars and very enjoyable. I also have an old AlfaSpider that is thrown in the mix!

It was weird. I could the Alfa for a few days or a week and truly enjoy it. I'd never drive it and think that i'd rather be in one of the Boxsters. Likewise, driving the base car was a blast.
I will say though, that every time I'd get back in the S, I'd have one though...this is the best car out of the three...by far.

From a maintenance standpoint, you mentioned that the 99 had all its maintenance done, but not the 30K mile service. Is there records to support any maintenance? Basically, up to 30K miles, the only scheduled maintenance is oil changes. That's not a lot to go by.

There are other concerns with cars this old. What shape are the headlight assemblies in? even used ones are expensive. What about the top and the rear window? How's the leather on the seats? Does the car have both keys? There are lots of $$ items on these cars that have nothing to do with maintenance but might help you with your negotiations.

Either way, one thing is for sure, you're gonna love it!

Bottom line, spend some time with both and see if one draws your interest more than the other. It might make the decision easier.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #15

Garage
You need to drive them! That will definitely help you decide. Dghii has some great questions. The S would be my preference plus it is 2 years newer. Then of course there is the negotiation. You might get the S for a price closer to the base.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi All-

Looking for a little guidance - am about to purchase a used Boxster and need help in deciding between two models.

The first is a 1999 Boxster base - 34k miles, regular maintenance (not sure if 30k was done). This is the cheaper option

The second is 2001 Boxster S - 39k miles, regular service and receipts for work competed at a Porsche dealer for new alternator, RMS seal replaced, IMS seal checked, 30k service, and other misc. items. This is the pricier option.

Both have recent tires and brakes and wouldn't need anything like that.

Any thoughts on if the maintenance issues of the S should scare me away or make it a more attractive buy? Or would it essentially even out because i'd have to spend some $$ on the 1999 for 30k service anyway?

Since the RMS was done on the S am i good for a while on that, or could that go at any time?

Also, since they are such low mileage, should i be concerned with the IMS and just budget to have the L&N replacement IMS bearing put in?

I know, a few questions, but would appreciate any wisdom as this is my first Porsche purchase and i don't want to sink crazy money into maintenance right off the bat.
Quote:
Thanks all -

Here is the S i am considering:

If you look at the picture of the maintenance receipt you see the alternator at top, and then the RMS seal replacement and the resealing of the IMS bearing flange.

Language says "approved replaced leaking rear main and intermediate shaft seals" "...replaced leaking RMS and resealed intermediate shaft bearing flange"

Seeing as this was done less than a year ago - safe to assume i'd be OK in those areas?

No, I would absolutely NOT assume the IMS is OK. Quite the opposite. I agree with JamesP -- all they did is look at it...

/
Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #17

I would never take my car to that place....in the year 2013 they were right "there" and did not replace the IMS.......?!?!?!?!?!?!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #18

Thanks all for the tips - I'm going to pass on those two, but will keep on searching form something in the Chicago - Detroit areas.

I'd love to find something with the IMS already replaced so i don't have to worry about that (just the other "routine" maintenance).