Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Gone

Garage
Bikini sun cover

Looking for a small cover for 'top down' days when I park out in the sun for the day. Do you have any suggestions for something similar?

I found this one for about $75: Boxster Poptop Sun Shade Interior Cockpit Car Cover | eBay

I use a similar cover on my motorcycle and like it. It's quite dusty around here and very hot out in direct sun. Black interior and all that nonsense.

Last edited by Davev; 05-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #2

With all do respect the original cover posted looks like a glorified trash bag. Id say just put up the top. It only takes a few seconds.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
2004 2.7 Tip Lapis Blue

I agreed with PorscheBound. The sun shade looks terrible....I certainly wouldn't pay 75 dollars for a plastic bag. I imagine it would take more time to fit than it would to put the ragtop up.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Garage
Looking at the picture closely by the OP, it appears the top IS up. I agree, this instead of the top up would be silly. I think this is in an effort to keep the interior cool, a whole top "sun shade".

yeah, not seeing it, however...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Gone

Garage
Of course I wouldn't put this over the 'top up'.

It's to keep my seats out of the sun and reflect heat. With the top down.

I'm not asking if I should do it. I can think for myself.

Just wanting alternatives.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
Of course I wouldn't put this over the 'top up'.

It's to keep my seats out of the sun and reflect heat. With the top down.

I'm not asking if I should do it. I can think for myself.

Just wanting alternatives.
I just don't understand how you Justify the purchase of the product? As another member stated it would take more time to put this on as appose to just putting up the top which will do the same thing this top will do and still be something worth looking at. I'm just trying to gain some perspective on why you think something like this is worth the money?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Garage
I use the pop top you show. No shade at work + black top = hot everything inside in Texas. Takes a few seconds longer to put on, looks ugly, but makes a noticeable difference in temps inside (seats, dash, shifter, etc) And since I drive everyday and get in at oh5 hotter n heck, it matters to me. I didn't find any better options but if you do, please post it up.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

CA PopTop Review

I have the cover depicted. It works well. HUGE difference in interior temps here in the sunny south - and my oem canvas top is grey, not black. Way better on the leather dash & seats, too, with no sun in the side windows. And I can leave the windows cracked in the rain with this top on.
I added a hook for the straps to attach just above the exhaust, out of sight. The whole thing takes maybe 15-20 sec to install, once initially adjusted.
I sometimes use it with the top down, when I just don't feel like exercising the top - it still drains water if tensioned properly. It keeps the bird crap off of the canvas top. My briefcase, if left on the passenger seat, is no longer on display to passers-by
And when the passenger door started allowing water to wet the carpet at the base of the door, the "pop top" stopped this because it stands a bit off the doors and directs the water to fall outboard of the window seal.
If you get one, you may find you actually use it more with the top up. I did. I even use it with the hardtop, sometimes.

Downsides:
1) looks like a giant diaper to me, and I'm self-conscious about conspicuously applying it at work or generally anywhere other people don't feel the need to protect their cars after getting out.
2) the Tyvek material just doesn't look "automotive" to me. Maybe should be made of silverguard
3) the fit is not perfect, especially across the radiused edge of the windshield, and it does not cover the plastic cowl strip housing the wipers, thus still allowing this vulnerable plastic piece to age from UV exposure
4) while it stays on very well in all reasonable conditions, (I think they advertised stability in 70mph winds) I discovered the rotor wash of a JetRanger landing close-by will remove it.
5) Mine is 2.5 yr old, and the material is almost worn out.

In short, I think I'll buy another. It serves a purpose, does it well, costs relatively little (but a lot for the material involved), and takes up almost no space in the trunk. Unlike the full cover, I don't worry much about the car being clean before applying it, since there is little contact with painted surfaces and the material doesn't hold much dirt or move around too much. And I'm not aware of any similar alternatives. But if I had the time, I'd have it remade locally out of Silverguard and custom fitted to cover the cowl area better.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #9

I have the pop top cover too...love it.

I use it with the top down and the top up. Keeps things nice and cool regardless and it only takes about a minute to install. I think I paid around 50 for mine but it has been 4-5 years ago at least.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #10

You want something like this:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/48032-fs-cabriolet-top-cover.html
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
That is the idea I'm wanting. But I think reflective material might work a little better out here in my climate. But that price seems good- I'll search. Thanks!

UV reflective like this:
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #12

I would just get a whole care cover... i got mine for $125 from a member here... why not protect your WHOLE car? Would probably take the same amount of time to put on anyway...
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
I would just get a whole care cover... i got mine for $125 from a member here... why not protect your WHOLE car? Would probably take the same amount of time to put on anyway...
You NEVER want to cover a dirty car, with a whole car cover.

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 05-28-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
You NEVER want to cover a dirty car, with a whole car cover.
yea no ****************...you drive your car around dirty??

dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote