Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
Start up rattles

My boxster has been rattling at start up really bad to the point it's quite embarrassing. I took the rubber hammer to it today. I found the culprit. Two heat shields on on either side adjacent to the cats. I was posed with a dilemma. Do I remove them completely which would remove any further rattles or do I grip them tighter to the part they are attached.

I think I read both for and against removal. I opted for this choice. Purely for the fact I think the rattle would come back again. I know they are there for a reason. Above is a rubber boot which I am concerned about and I am sure the heat in the engine bay will have increased but to what level. I will try and fabricate a deflector to bounce the heat back away from the engine towards the road

Anyone with rattles jack up the car get the rubber hammer and tap it around the back I bet the heat shields are responsible. Picture attached of removed heat shield.

Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Garage
Going to get mine checked as have a rattle on passenger side, as you say nothing more embarrassing than the rattle on startup
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danch View Post
Going to get mine checked as have a rattle on passenger side, as you say nothing more embarrassing than the rattle on startup
I noticed a new rattle after changing the clutch, I suspect something like that too...
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Offroader

ah, ill have to check this also. i get a rattle on start up too.
4runnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #5

Tag

FFR

I have the same thing...not too bad...but annoying
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

i removed the annoying heat shields almost 4 years ago , no problems at all . while your under there you should remove the secondary cats if you have them and replace with the delete pipes .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Performance

THis will improve performance ??

Source ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #8

Garage
My only fear was extra heat. I'm wondering if there is possibly a wrap solution like foil that will not make any noise and offer some form heat shield. Not sure if foil is the right material but something like that which is light weight and you can mould tight to the pipes

When driving there were no rattles or over heat. Started up this morning no rattles and first speed bump.....nothing

Get it done if you can. A pair of tin snips or a longish screw driver or for me fingers and brute force just be careful of sharp edges

RATTLE FREE SO HAPPY
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #9

If you're concerned about melting some stuff, you could always just use some exhaust heat wrap. It's relatively cheap and works great.

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 06-01-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
If you're concerned about melting some stuff, you could always just use some exhaust heat wrap. It's relatively cheap and works great.
Yes Mota. Exactly what I am after. Thank you. I guess eBay will be where I will find such stuff?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #11

Usually just got mine from a local race shop but I'm almost positive you can find it on eBay. Just a tip, try to get your hands on DEi brand wrap. I tried out the no-name brand before and the material just feels thin and frayed real easy.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #12

Garage
Good old eBay. I have purchased some so should be here in a few days. Have purchased some extra metal cable ties also. Will try and get a picture once done
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #13

Doesn't the exhaust heat wrap promote corrosion/rust by trapping moisture ? Or is that not an issue with stainless steel exhaust parts ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote