Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
I track many cars of all makes just for fun, and here is the scoop.

When a car hits a certain dollar amount that makes it very very inexpensive and a steal (such as our 986 has in the past), then people catch on to that and flock to that model.

Sure enough, the supply dwindles and demand automatically goes up--->classic basic economics! This happens to Fords, Infinitis, Ferraris, etc. The most dramatic change that I have seen in any car is the NSX (I shouldn't have sold it!!!!!!!), the 2004 NSXT is selling for the same price now compared to when I sold it in 2005 (2005 was the lowest point of the car).

Here is another word of advice, once that car is back up on the price curve, it doesn't come back down, so snatch one up quick Jake!
The nsx, s2000, and old 911s are some of the most recent booms. My guess is that the s2k has very few stock examples left and those that are stock are worth a ton.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
I track many cars of all makes just for fun, and here is the scoop.

When a car hits a certain dollar amount that makes it very very inexpensive and a steal (such as our 986 has in the past), then people catch on to that and flock to that model.

Sure enough, the supply dwindles and demand automatically goes up--->classic basic economics! This happens to Fords, Infinitis, Ferraris, etc. The most dramatic change that I have seen in any car is the NSX (I shouldn't have sold it!!!!!!!), the 2004 NSXT is selling for the same price now compared to when I sold it in 2005 (2005 was the lowest point of the car).

Here is another word of advice, once that car is back up on the price curve, it doesn't come back down, so snatch one up quick Jake!
basic price demand elasticity / substitution effect right there
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #23

i think that spring summer always creates more interest in convertibles,but i also think that boxsters are now coming up in $,s more$ and maybe pre 06 with replaceable ims will continue to rise in $ if in good shape.im going to hang on to mine as well as my 914.its not the money so much,but fear that it will get more and more expensive to get good examples in the near future.
rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #24

Like many things in life you should avoid bidding where supply is tight. Go where supply is bettter which means if you want max value you'll have to travel. At the end of the day very few Porsches were limited production cars, these are the only cars I would be comfortable paying above the historical average. The danger is that the genuinely limited Porsches are lifting all the boats and when reality sets in, like a sharp turn in the economy making cash more desirable than toys, these mass produced Porsches will see the steepest drops on resale.
If you are going to cross the line and pay above the historical average price for any Porsche with a mass produced engine, make sure the mileage is low. Nearly all of a running Porsche's value comes from the engine. Overpaying for a high or moderate mileage Porsche means You're really overpaying engine wise.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #25

i agree ,low mileage is best,but ultimately you have to buy them because you like them and enjoy driving them.i think the boxes up to 04 will become a seperate class .
rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #26

I think one BIG factor is that the land mine problems such as the IMS now have solutions.

Also I think (it could just be me) the Boxster stereotype is wearing off now that there is more of mid-engine offering.

Or...maybe 911 owners are tired of Boxsters beating them at the track and autoX and just decided to join them...hahaha
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #27

I would also suggest that when Porsche goes all in on flat fours (yech), with ever increasing silly complexity (ala' 981"start-stop" and "coast mode"), light simple flat SIX models like our 986's will become more desirable.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #28

Garage
I just bought my 2nd Boxster (the first was a '98 base model owned from 2000-2012)....a 09 'S' - and found the following - After driving both 'base' and 'S' models of various years, I decided ONLY an S would do this time. Most dealers had inflated prices - but at least one was willing to deal aggressively on used Boxsters. Aggressive searching/shopping could help find some 'S's' that could be purchased a few thousand under KBB...from individuals. The IMS issue seems to be 'sorting out' - and a significant minority of cars are advertised with 'IMS retrofits' of one sort or another, usually somewhat at higher prices - one 08S I found appeared a few weeks later on a dealer website at $11K more than the individual owner had been asking.....so Dealers don't seem to be ashamed to price a bit high - the more recent model S's (I was only looking through 2010 or older) - 2008-2010....appear to be somewhat harder to find.
Historically, I've had my best luck buying 7 year old Porsches (with really good luck they've bottomed out on depreciation, but not gotten old enough to require lots of expensive maintainance) ......7 years would have put me at an 07 - and moving to an 09 brought me to DFI and total elimination of the IMS bearing issue.....so I gulped, spent a little more and bought an 09S.
as always...a good PPI, service records, one or two owner car with the most recent owner having had the car a long time, clean carfax, and either buying from a good individual owner, or from a Porsche Dealer with some warrantee seems to be the preferred mode of buying......always better to overpay for a great car than to underpay for a 'fair' one....but of course best to underpay for a great car! (a quote from Captain Obvious?)

RickJ

Last edited by RickJ; 06-02-2014 at 10:07 AM.
RickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #29

There are too many variables and the cars are optioned differently. Some will argue that options dont hold value. While that may be true, creating the car with after market options is even more expensive or just a PITA.

To your point more directly. Compared to resent years, there are not many 8 - 10 year old Boxsters for sale here in Austin. I looked at the Boxster market for about years 3 or so before purchasing mine about 9 months ago and still look often just to see what is going on. There were always about 6-10 to look at. Now, maybe one or two.
The dealerships dont seem to have many and the indy's are not listing any either.
Seems the 5 ish year old Boxsters are more plenitful right now and those are priced accordingly.

My observations are local to Austin. About 25 mile radius from near center of town.

Last edited by Muzzle of Bees; 06-02-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Muzzle of Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
The nsx, s2000, and old 911s are some of the most recent booms. My guess is that the s2k has very few stock examples left and those that are stock are worth a ton.
Yeah, have you checked out the prices for the cr edition s2000? Almost damn near the actual selling price with 25-40k miles!

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote