Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

Correct oil filter number

Gents,
Figured I'd finally do an oil change (been putting it off for a couple of weeks.. bad owner!). I remember in the past, if I've tried to get it at AutoZone or other FLAPS, I've ended up cursing because the oil filter listed in the little book on the oil filter aisle for our cars is incorrect (hole is too small in the ends of the cartridge).

I typically order these online now, but failed to do so and wanting to pick this up locally to knock this out today.

Can anyone confirm the correct oil filter number for our cars (in my case a '00 base)? Realllllly don't want to get the old one off only to find out I've got the wrong filter again...

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

The oil filter part number is 996-107-225-60. Have you every considered buying in bulk online? Would make more sense to only have to pay the shipping once!
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

I have thought about that, but didn't do it. So now it's the weekend and I need a filter.

That part number won't help me much standing in the aisle at AutoZone. That's an OEM part number yes? I want to say the correct Mobil 1 filter is M1107, but was hoping someone could confirm.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

K&N HP-7001
STP S8278
Champion Model P838
Fram Model CH8278

Google is your friend .

Take your old filter with you to make sure the new one matches. If it doesn't, you can always put the old filter back in temporarily until you can order the new one from Pelican Parts or wherever.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

Google lies.. have you actually used any of those filters? look at all of them on the AutoZone website. Hole in cartridge isn't large enough. Car I'm doing oil change on is the one I need to go get the filter, so "taking it with me" won't work either.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Google lies.. have you actually used any of those filters? look at all of them on the AutoZone website. Hole in cartridge isn't large enough. Car I'm doing oil change on is the one I need to go get the filter, so "taking it with me" won't work either.
Good luck then...
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
I want to say the correct Mobil 1 filter is M1107, but was hoping someone could confirm.
This filter is a spin-on filter. You'll need the LN spin-on adaptor to use this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
K&N HP-7001
This is also a spin-on filter. The cartridge filter is part number HP-7011.

Quote:
.....won't help me much standing in the aisle at AutoZone.
Actually, the guys behind the counter should be able to provide you the part number and filter you need.

Just sayin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #8

Go to amazon.com, search oil filter, specify your car, and it will show you a lot. Jot the numbers down and take it to the store. I got a wix filter locally that way.... don't remember the part number though, sorry.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #9

Maybe it is too small, but you're aware that you have to force the filter on? The hole starts too small and is enlarged when you put it on the spindle. Not questioning your conclusion, just pointing out this fact.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #10

Get a NAPA Gold filter

Oil Filter (Gold)
Part Number: FIL 7211
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters

Has better specs than any other filter I have seen...make sure you get the Gold filter # 7211
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Get a NAPA Gold filter

Oil Filter (Gold)
Part Number: FIL 7211
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters

Has better specs than any other filter I have seen...make sure you get the Gold filter # 7211
I got the Wix 57211, I think Wix is the mfr for Napa gold.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 AM   #12

Garage
I just went through this as well recently, in the past I always bought my filter from Pelican when I ordered other parts, but this year I did not need any other parts and shipping was $24 for an $11 filter (Only free shipping for purchases over $75 to Canada) so I decided to look locally, I went to my local parts store, which is owned by my neighbour - I try and support local business, and they went through about a half dozen filters that were listed for my car until we found a WIX one that was a perfect fit. As always when I do my next oil change I will inspect the filter and see how it performed.

matthewb is offline   Reply With Quote