986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New top recommendations? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52313-new-top-recommendations.html)

Highlander 05-23-2014 07:13 PM

New top recommendations?

I've been out of the Pcar loop for the last 6 years due to new family commitments.

My '01 S is in dire need of a new top. GAHH were probably the "go to" company for replacement tops back then. Are there equivalent or better alternatives?
I want a glass rear window and I'm more interested in quality than price.

I also would be interested in recommendations for a shop to install it in the Pleasanton/Dublin/Livermore, or for the right shop, South Bay or anywhere on the peninsula here in the SF Bay area. This is way beyond my comfort level!

TIA

Topless 05-23-2014 07:18 PM

Where you been Highlander? Good to have you back. I have a GAHH glass top and recommend it, but others have gotten a less expensive option that seems to be made in the same plant without the brand name. I don't know if they are 1st quality or seconds that didn't meet GAHH standards but they look good to me.

Good luck in your quest.

Highlander 05-23-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 401832)
Where you been Highlander? Good to have you back.

Thanks! Good to be back.

Let's see, where have I been. Here's the Cliff's notes version.

Got laid off after 12 years with the same company - B*****rds. Divorced. Found a new job and moved back to Southern California. Got married again (this time to the most incredible lady). Got made the scapegoat on a failed program by (name redacted) and fired. Got picked up by a startup in San Jose. Startup got acquired by SanDisk. Bought an '02 Turbo to share the garage with the Boxster.

That about covers it :)

Pdwight 05-23-2014 07:40 PM

A new P car owner

Why is the top such a bear to replace ??

Highlander 05-23-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 401836)
Why is the top such a bear to replace ??

Replacing Boxster Top, Pelican Parts Tutorial

Hand me a wrench and set of sockets and I'm all set to go. Start talking about trim and weather sealing and glue and I run away! :eek:

Pdwight 05-23-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander (Post 401840)
Replacing Boxster Top, Pelican Parts Tutorial

Hand me a wrench and set of sockets and I'm all set to go. Start talking about trim and weather sealing and glue and I run away! :eek:

I seem to have a hard time with trim parts and internal door cards and such too

Topless 05-23-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander (Post 401835)
Thanks! Good to be back.

Got laid off after 12 years with the same company - B*****rds. Divorced. Found a new job and moved back to Southern California. Got married again (this time to the most incredible lady). Got made the scapegoat on a failed program by (name redacted) and fired. Got picked up by a startup in San Jose. Startup got acquired by SanDisk. Bought an '02 Turbo to share the garage with the Boxster.

Sounds like a pretty wild ride. I hope things are settling down for you a bit. As I recall you were pretty active on Renntech and I followed your suspension how-to post about 5 years ago. It seems you were a better than fair AX competitor back then. As you probably know, PCA GGR has a very active driving program in the Bay Area.

4runnin 05-23-2014 10:49 PM

SAS German Auto in Pleasanton has done my Boxter work in the past. They replaced the cables for my top and seemed to do a good job. Maybe give them a call and see if they replace tops.

Highlander 05-23-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 401854)
Sounds like a pretty wild ride. I hope things are settling down for you a bit. As I recall you were pretty active on Renntech and I followed your suspension how-to post about 5 years ago. It seems you were a better than fair AX competitor back then. As you probably know, PCA GGR has a very active driving program in the Bay Area.

I had a fair run when I was autocrossing. In '06 I took 2nd in the SCCA ProSolo series and 3rd in the National championships pedaling a friends Mini Cooper S in G Stock. Also that year, I won my class in the Portland Parade Autocross, then followed it up in '07 with a win in San Diego. My female co-drivers did pretty good too. A win in Portland and a 2nd in San Diego. The lady that drove my car in San Diego had never autocrossed a Boxster and had never driven on race rubber before, so she did an outstanding job. Only got beaten by an ex-pro race driver in a 914-6.

That whole Ax setup will be for sale soon, just as soon as I drag it out of boxes and take some pictures...

Highlander 05-23-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnin (Post 401870)
SAS German Auto in Pleasanton has done my Boxter work in the past. They replaced the cables for my top and seemed to do a good job. Maybe give them a call and see if they replace tops.

Thanks, I'll give 'em a call.

BruceH 05-24-2014 06:47 AM

Take a look at Auto Tops Direct. I bought mine off of their eBay store. When doing my research, I realized that they are the same as GAHH. The installer agreed that it is the exact same top as a GAHH. I have been very happy with the quality and love the glass window. I would love to find a Turbo like yours, great looking car:cheers:

Porsche Boxster Convertible Top 97 02 in Black Stayfast Cloth with Glass Window | eBay

Porsche Boxster Convertible Tops | Porsche Convertible Soft Tops

healthservices 05-24-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highlander (Post 401835)
Thanks! Good to be back.

Seems like the only thing we can rely on is that things are constantly changing...