Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ah yes, the old molecular change that occurs in german steel when wheels are not in contact with the ground. similar to the change in bone density experienced by astronauts who live in zero gravity for extended periods of time ...
Get outta here.........

Really???

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ah yes, the old molecular change that occurs in german steel when wheels are not in contact with the ground. similar to the change in bone density experienced by astronauts who live in zero gravity for extended periods of time ...
Nah... more like bed sores. Do you truly think that having a car suspended by four small pads with all that unsprung weight hanging on it for month on end makes no difference.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #23

the reason folks say to not put the car on jack stands for too long is that the shocks get extended by the springs when unloaded into a place that they don't want to spend an extended period of time. i don't think it is due to the concern that the car will sag or droop. the fact that it does is indicitative of the amount of flex in the frame. if frame distortion is apparent after a month on jack stands then it should be apparent after multiple shorter applications of force (corners). hence my previous statement that the efficacy of strut bars may be related to the age/use of the vehicle.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Sorry to hijack again , but I've just been reading this :
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/10817-driving-impressions-lower-stress-bar.html
I think i will do this modification .
I hate to report that after I put my order in with Mantis, they seemed to have raised the price of their adjustable bar from $135 to $175.

Mantis Sport Rear Stress Bar
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #25

Time to MAKE your own ??

(See what I did there ?)
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #26
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Have you seen the 356 with a million miles? Do you see that has any extra braces?
Ever seen a 356 with a front wheel in the air at an autocross? I have, multiple times. They're not particularly stiff chassis, from what I can see. I'm not saying a Boxster does or doesn't need one, just that going 1M miles is not really related to the question, IMO.