986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   997 powered Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52174-997-powered-boxster.html)

Porsche9 05-15-2014 08:07 PM

997 powered Boxster

The seller is asking a lot of money for the car.

Excellence :: Porsches for Sale : 2001 997-Powered (3.6L) Boxster for sale in Baltimore, MD

particlewave 05-15-2014 08:16 PM

Wow! A $30,000 motor, eh?

That guy should share his drugs.

Porsche9 05-15-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 400521)
Wow! A $30,000 motor, eh?

That guy should share his drugs.

I like the reasoning that it's a fraction of the cost of a new Boxster.

The logic of taking a car that was likely a roller worth $3k add a $20k motor plus a few extras that in resale you might get a dime on the dollar for all in a car that still has a 5 speed and you get $45k is beyond me. Maybe he thinks he has a air cooled 911. Ha ha.

Pdwight 05-15-2014 10:56 PM

Spending that kind of money why not go with a 6 speed ??

Meat Head 05-16-2014 04:27 AM

Nice car but $45k.......I don't think so. I think it is more of a $20k car.

jmatta 05-16-2014 07:06 AM

If I was doing that kind of conversion, it certainly would have been on an S with a blown engine, not a base. Better than a "Rufster" and a lot cheaper.

jsceash 05-16-2014 07:22 AM

I guess that makes my 2003 Boxster with a fully rebuilt 3.6 LN motor and mod’s worth about $50K. I'm not that optimistic and on a good day maybe $18K. Bottom line unless he bought the 2003-06 7.8 DME and other computers he got maybe a 275 BHP and a cam timing issue because the 7.2 DME can't properly run that version Vario-cam.

JFP in PA 05-16-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 400518)

It looks like they are trying to recover some of the outrageous expenses associated with putting a 3.6 in a 2001 chassis. This is one of the most aggravating swaps you can try, as you have to change out the A/C controller, the entire dash, the ABS/PSM system controller, all the ABS sensors and rewire the car to 997 CAN bus specs (to name just a few of the required mods), which is a timing consuming nightmare.

Unfortunately, swaps like this tend to degrade rather than enhance a car's resale value due to the now unique configuration of the car.

JFP in PA 05-16-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 400570)
I guess that makes my 2003 Boxster with a fully rebuilt 3.6 LN motor and mod’s worth about $50K. I'm not that optimistic and on a good day maybe $18K. Bottom line unless he bought the 2003-06 7.8 DME and other computers he got maybe a 275 BHP and a cam timing issue because the 7.2 DME can't properly run that version Vario-cam.

Done right, the VarioCam+ will work correctly in this swap.

Porsche9 05-16-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 400573)
It looks like they are trying to recover some of the outrageous expenses associated with putting a 3.6 in a 2001 chassis. This is one of the most aggravating swaps you can try, as you have to change out the A/C controller, the entire dash, the ABS/PSM system controller, all the ABS sensors and rewire the car to 997 CAN bus specs (to name just a few of the required mods), which is a timing consuming nightmare.

Unfortunately, swaps like this tend to degrade rather than enhance a car's resale value due to the now unique configuration of the car.

I believe your better off taking what you have and building on that. Example is taking a Boxster S and building up the 3.2 to a 3.6 with all the toys. Integration is much less of any issue and you end up with a better result. Still not cheap to do and you never get your money back.

Perfectlap 05-16-2014 08:35 AM

So another m96.2 Boxster?

That's a clever use of the term "997 powered"

You'd be better of dumping a 2009+ 997engine with 53k miles in a 987 Boxster with a fresh paint job.
A more familiar path for your mechanic with fewer surprises after you drive off.

BYprodriver 05-16-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 400582)
I believe your better off taking what you have and building on that. Example is taking a Boxster S and building up the 3.2 to a 3.6 with all the toys. Integration is much less of any issue and you end up with a better result. Still not cheap to do and you never get your money back.

Yes, no reason to add complications to acheive 3.6L which is plenty for a street car.
5-speed trans becomes a temporary maintenance part. Also no need to create a custom service manual for the car.

The Radium King 05-16-2014 10:19 AM

i could be wrong but, from all the specs ive seen, 3.2 to 3.6 bore increase makes less hp than a factory 3.6. i dont think it is a breathing issue, but perhaps associated with the longer stroke?

BYprodriver 05-16-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 400600)
i could be wrong but, from all the specs ive seen, 3.2 to 3.6 bore increase makes less hp than a factory 3.6. i dont think it is a breathing issue, but perhaps associated with the longer stroke?

It's very much a breathing issue, my LN 3.6 makes very similar power to a 2003 3.6 with the exception of more torque at lower rpms. I hope to dyno test my car again soon to see what the 987 airbox, 996 T/B & 996 intake plenum with 996 DME program did for it.

Porsche9 05-16-2014 12:55 PM

For me the simplest solution is buy a Porsche that has more power to begin with if that is what you want ($20k to $28k buys you a 996). Outside of just absolutely loving my car more then another car with more power and the cost not brothering me I'd never do it. The claimed $20k spent on the motor for this car makes no sense when factoring in the best he is likily to do is get $20k at best for the car. Last I checked $20k is still alot of money for the average person which is more then 95% of us.

calvani 05-16-2014 02:49 PM

Hi Folks,

I know this car pretty well, as well as the owner, since I am that person! :)

I have to say it has been pretty amusing following this thread today. Let me clarify a few incorrect assumptions and add a few comments as well:

1) The chassis is not a roller. I bought the '01 Boxster (2.7L) in '03 for $32K. The chassis is absolutely mint. I simply decided to install a 997 engine after multiple attempts to fix the 2.7L RMS issues were not successful. And I was able to sell the original 2.7L for $4K (it was installed in a Boxster spec racing series car - actually, at the time, for the car of the PCA Chesapeake President).

2) The approx. $20K that I stated for the installation includes a Porsche 997 crate motor from Porsche of Annapolis, all associated parts (fuel regulator & pump, 996 new/light flywheel, 7.8 DME, State 2 Clutch Kit, Cayman Air Mass Meter, Maxspeed headers, Remus exhaust etc, etc....) ***plus*** all the labor. Not too bad, if you really see all the work that was done and the sheer quality of the execution.

3) The stock 5-speed gear box works just fine (and within tolerance). I don't track this car and really did not see the need to buy a 6-speed gear box when the installation was performed. Believe or not, I was actually trying to save a few bucks whenever possible (unless there was really a good reason for it).

4) Yes, the car is using 7.8 DME, so it is configured properly to run with Vario-Cam plus (i.e., with the electrical harness configured to correctly operate the 997 motor).

5) To my surprise as well (based on what I had read in this forum and Rennlist), this swap was not a time-consuming nightmare. I think the bottom line is (as with everything in life), that if you know what you are doing (as SSI Performance did) and you are methodical/systematic, any task can unfold pretty smoothly.

6) As for the price, note that I stated $45K **OBO**. I would entertain any good offer and in fact I have already gotten some inquiries from folks in Europe (with the Euro-dollar to their advantage; note that the US was not my only target audience for selling this car). Clearly, I am trying to recover the expenses for the engine swap. But I am confident that anyone who drives this car will agree that it runs as a very special and **unique** factory-like Porsche. If I get to sell it at a high price, I will make sure to let everyone know at the forum, since technically I am helping to increase the market value of our cars (or least the special engine swapped Boxsters) ;)

I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Humberto-

BYprodriver 05-16-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 400627)
For me the simplest solution is buy a Porsche that has more power to begin with if that is what you want ($20k to $28k buys you a 996). Outside of just absolutely loving my car more then another car with more power and the cost not brothering me I'd never do it. The claimed $20k spent on the motor for this car makes no sense when factoring in the best he is likily to do is get $20k at best for the car. Last I checked $20k is still alot of money for the average person which is more then 95% of us.

After extensive test drives of every new 986 & 996 I knew the 986 S was the funnest car & the only thing it lacked was the 996's engine power. I bought the lightest 986 S & rebuilt the engine to give it the 3.6L power.

The Radium King 05-16-2014 05:21 PM

+1 with byprodriver. i would also add the aethethetic component - the 986 is the purest itertation of the design, preceeding the 99x, 987 and cayman. it is a timeless design, just needing a bit more hp to make it a complete classic.

JFP in PA 05-16-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvani (Post 400643)

5) To my surprise as well (based on what I had read in this forum and Rennlist), this swap was not a time-consuming nightmare. I think the bottom line is (as with everything in life), that if you know what you are doing (as SSI Performance did) and you are methodical/systematic, any task can unfold pretty smoothly.

Then perhaps you should venture over to RennTech, where there is a tread on putting a 3.6L in a 2000 chassis that required a ton of work as explained by someone that has actually done a couple of these in both Boxsters and 996's who was trying to help out someone just starting such a project ("If you want a factory-type situation and maintain all functions and diagnostics etc., you need to replace the DME with the 7.8 DME. To integrate the 7.8 DME, you need to change out the ABS controller, the instrument cluster, the HVAC controller and the DME. Depending on what ABS system your car currently has, you may need to change out the ABS wheel sensors as well. The integration of all components will require rewiring for all controllers as well as likely new connectors for the cluster and likely the ABS controller (again, this depends on the ABS/TC system you have). The CAN bus then needs to be run between the new controllers. The instrument cluster acts as the CAN bus hub so a twisted pair of wires needs to be run from the DME to the cluster, cluster to ABS and cluster to HVAC. You will also need to address the return type/ non return fuel system differences between the engine and chassis.")

All of which somehow sounds like it qualifies as a time-consuming nightmare for most folks that don't have a fully equipped shop at their disposal, and at the end of it you have a "one-off" vehicle.........

jacabean 05-16-2014 07:03 PM

here is a 996 3.6 for sale . i owned this car for a couple months when it only had 6k on the clock and only paid 20k for it . it had some issues that the next owner spent $$$$ to fix . 2002 PORSCHE "Roocks" RSB340 BOXSTER | SweetCars.com