986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Got a ticket (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/520-got-ticket.html)

hdpt73 10-02-2003 01:39 PM

Got a ticket

Hey guys, i've been reading this forum for a few months but never registered. well I ran into a problem with the local authorities here in texas. I got a ticket for going 40 in a 35.... it is not a speeding ticket but a "failure to control speed ticket" it was on a sunny day so not really dangerous to anyone. should i take this thing to a judge or jury trial (i plan on fighting this thing to the end). And damn boxster... gets too much attention here. by the way, i love this forum (i spend at least 1 hour a day reading it here at work). btw, the instrument he used to measure my speed was visual. instead of radar or following me. i will post pics of my silver 98 boxster soon.

although i thought about saying on a good day i'll triple 40 going to work on the country roads.

Bayt

CharlesGordon 10-02-2003 06:07 PM

You won't need to "take it to the end" if you use an attorney hooked up to the system. The challenge is finding the right attorney, the guy who has buddies in the court system.

Good luck! Any TX people with a recommendation?

Larry Goldston 10-09-2003 07:33 PM

I'm also from texas, and I'd call the court and ask for deferred adjudication, I'll bet you can get it, It'll still cost you some money, maybe 50 bucks, But if you don't get any more tickets for a period of time, Maybe 6 months, it will go away. I think it is better than defensive driver training, as I've taken that so many times, I've got a Phd in it. All of these municipal courts are going to get their money 1 way or the other, It's called speeding tax and its a windfall for the municipalities. To fight it will cost you 500-750, and you still don't have any guarantee of winning.

hdpt73 11-11-2003 06:48 AM

thanks guys, i went to court and asked for the deffered. you have to pay court cost 150.00 used to be 65.00 and have to take a safety class. i guess i'll do this. i really have lost respect for the police dept after this one. some cops are cool, but most of them are jerks.

Automon 01-21-2004 10:56 AM

I would have fought that, visual would never hold up in court. 5 over that just stupid!!!!
go catch a killer or somthing
Automon

Larry Goldston 01-21-2004 02:58 PM

Sorry about your ticket and results, court costs and fine all across Texas really jumped 1-1-04. Usually when I know I'm getting a ticket and there is no talking one out of it, I usually ask the officer, "just for the record, how many felony arrests have to made this week, as compared to the number of tickets you've written" What ever the response is I usually add, "are you a rookie, or just out of the academy?" You've just pissed that guy off to the point that he'll be fuming long after you driven off. You just hope he doesn't go home and take it out on his wife.

donv 01-22-2004 11:35 AM

And hopefully not on you, if your commute is along the same route every day... :eek: :)