986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just returned from Boxster Hell!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51850-just-returned-boxster-hell.html)

Raider 04-25-2014 03:32 PM

Just returned from Boxster Hell!!

Yes, I just finished replacing my coolant tank. As many of you have asked before WTF were they thinking! Was this design intentional? Are the designers evil sadists?
For those of you that have done this, I feel your pain! For those that haven't, don't get some to do it for you!
I was able to do it with out much damage...to me. I kept my little bottle of nitro glycerin handy, but fortunately didn't need to pop one. I am now in rehab enjoying a rather strong margarita, this after a hot shower and Tylenol.

Thank god there are no leaks......

Louis

OK, why isn't there a L&N Engineering Coolant tank Solution? Or a class action....

Paul 04-25-2014 03:53 PM

Well done, I'm betting Porsche installs it before the motor is installed.

Some shops lower the motor a few inches to ease access.

Mark_T 04-25-2014 04:33 PM

Welcome to the coolant tank club. Wear your scars with pride. :cheers:

tonycarreon 04-25-2014 05:44 PM

manual or tip?

tip here and i eventually gave up after a day and a half of misery. got loads of "you can do it" and "keep at it" encouragement from the forum, but in the end my sanity was gone.

when i picked it up from the shop ($680 labor only) the mechanic said if i ever need to come back to do it again, to make sure it's on a day he's off.

epapp 04-25-2014 05:49 PM

The use of the long headed clamp removers makes this job....easy...right? I assume if you have the tool, it's just a matter of catching coolant as it spills and putting new worm clamps on. Am I missing something?

If I am, I'll soon see for myself. I have the tool and the new tank waiting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raider 04-25-2014 05:57 PM

It's a manual. A couple of things I did to make it easier was to release the top cover and flip it up with the top in service position. The other was to separate the oil filer tube on top of the engine. I don't bend so well anymore and getting that cover out of the way was very helpful.

I'm scared for life, so I'll need to wear them well! My fore arms look like some one took a hammer to them! (Blood thinners fault really)

Meir 04-25-2014 05:59 PM

That is why I replaced the one on my car (although it was not leaking) when I removed the transmission for clutch job.
Obviuesly did the RMS, AOS and IMS while I was in there :D

If I'll have to do it again, I thing removing the transmission is the why to go.

Jake Raby 04-25-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

OK, why isn't there a L&N Engineering Coolant tank Solution
The same reason that we never released our water pump.. Because people would rather replace the unit more often with a cheap part as to replace it once with a quality piece.

litespeedp 04-25-2014 07:47 PM

If Porsche and other manufacturers would build it out of heavy duty glass,all would be avoided. Maybe that would make too much sense!

runjmc2 04-25-2014 08:26 PM

The secret is to remove the fetzer valve first

peterbrown77 04-26-2014 03:37 AM

Maybe you guys need a refresher course? It's all ball bearings nowadays.

jotoole 04-26-2014 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 397694)
The same reason that we never released our water pump.. Because people would rather replace the unit more often with a cheap part as to replace it once with a quality piece.

That's a very broad brush you're using.

Jake Raby 04-26-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 397730)
That's a very broad brush you're using.

No.. What you don't understand is to make components like these our distributors have to have the demand to place their orders and we have to make thousands to warrant the development.

I doubt that many here would pay 850.00 for a coolant tank or 1,750.00 for my water pump kit. That's because the OE replacements are too cheap and the components are too easy to change.

I have a whole list of things we've developed and never marketed because if these things. Most of them end up on our engines and made in limited runs.

jotoole 04-26-2014 05:02 AM

Now I understand.
Thank you.

healthservices 04-26-2014 08:59 AM

I agree, removing the trans is the way to go when changing these....

Then while you are there...

:cheers:

woodsman 04-26-2014 10:53 AM

Bottom line- I expect better from a 'brilliant' engineering company that builds expensive products. (Lexus, Infinity anyone?)